Thursday, 25 April 2013

Reasons to be cheerful

Upon my return from my first day back in the office yesterday I spent a short time in the garden. Apart from the general cooking dinner, homework duties, talking to the boy about his day, dealing with Mike blah blah blah that is.
Here I am in the big greenhouse by the peach tree. Even if it doesn't fruit this year the blossoms have been beautiful. It should fruit I have dabbed each blossom several times with a paintbrush. You can just make out one of the new pear trees just outside.
Sweet peas germinating. I had none last year. They germinated & were planted but they were stunted & very few flowered.
Horseradish making its way through a large tub. Horseradish is very invasive which is why I grow it in a large tub. Roots harvested in the autumn are stronger than ones harvested in spring.
I have a new narrow strip of land to plant. The fence/wall between the garden & next doors is being replaced. I have some wild flower grenades so I will be scattering the seeds there.
I would like to introduce Johnny, he has a twin brother called Thomas who hasn't germinated yet. This is from a school project that Harry took part in. It was titled trust. The children decorated a cup & sowed two or three seeds. At the end of Thursday they were told to swap cups with another child in class. They were to care for each others cup for several days. Harry is extremely happy to have his boys?? back. He has not placed his trust in me, He checks on them daily. Perhaps another gardener in the making. Though I would like to add he is only spotted in the garden during the summer grazing on some of my produce.

Enjoy your day

8 comments:

  1. I've been giving our nectarine the same treatment, however the peach isn't flowering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, mine bloomed right on time but it is in the greenhouse. I hope it starts for you soon.

      Delete
  2. It's nice to have the lighter evenings now. Hubby managed to get outside after work and get the grass cut last night, he wouldn't have been able to do that in daylight a few weeks ago. So what sort of seeds are Johnny and Thomas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its lovely to be able to wind down ate the end of the day. Johnny & Thomas are sunflowers, what variety I don't know. They will be well catered for.

      Delete
  3. There are always reasons to be cheerful when you're gardening! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a very positive hobby to have flighty.

      Delete
  4. That peach blossom is a beautiful colour. Fingers crossed that the blossom is followed by juicy fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you get some peaches this year...the blossom is beautiful all on it's own!!

    The lighter nights and warmer weather are so nice to have about so that after a day at work you can get outside and enjoy the garden for a while!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.