Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Rhubarb on the move

Finally after a bit of sun my Rhubarb seems to be growing.

See lovely leaves coming through! Hopefully wont be long now till harvest time.

I have three crowns in all. I forget the varieties as they were from a time when I didn't label things. Believe me I learnt my lesson the hard way.

One of the crowns was bought from a garden centre, one as part of a gift from a magazine subscription & the other was given as a present from a colleagues garden.

They have never reached a size where I have had to lift & split the crowns.I'm sure that time will come in the next few years now I have finally put them in their permanent bed.

Originally the first two crowns were kept in large pots, we were able to harvest a few crumbles from them though I had read they weren't ideal pot plants. When Mike built the final raised bed I decided to devote half of it to my fruit bush collection. In the bit of space left over I planted my then three crowns of Rhubarb. They loved the conditions as they grew absolutely huge. I had to squeeze past the leaves & stalks to get down the garden path. I knew they had to be moved again.

They are now at the very back of the garden next t my little wildlife pond. I'm hoping the huge leaves will encourage some friendly creatures to shelter there & help eat the slugs that no doubt will be out in force again this year.

Enjoy your day

18 comments:

  1. My rhubarb has just started growing again too, my three plants first showed their lovely chunky new leaves back in February but my delightful geese came over and ate them.

    Luckily they seem to have recovered and are now just a little bit bigger than yours. My plants came with us in our house move last year and will hopefully be moving again in the next year or so, it's a good job they are such resiliant plants, isn't it if we are both moving them so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I'm sure they enjoyed them though. I think it is 3 times in 3 years I have moved mine. Nice and settled now though.

      Delete
  2. Don't mention slugs, I'm hoping we don't have the same problem with them this year as we did last year. I bought a rhubarb plant at the back end of last year which I overwintered in the greenhouse, but it's destined for the allotment. It's started growing, so I'd better get a move on and get it planted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not, I am going to buy some of that nematode stuff to water on the soil. Along with my frog it should help out.

      Delete
  3. Your rhubarb looks good. I'm eagerly watching mine as they're about the same stage as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some of last years harvest in the freezer before, It should keep me going before the stems are big enough to pick.

      Delete
  4. It's noticeable how much mine has grown in the past week. I was given it so don't know the variety.
    As for slugs hopefully it's not going to be a good year for them! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the winter we had will have killed off a lot of them. I am determined to keep on top of them this year.

      Delete
  5. Your rhubarb does look healthy. Mine is yet to appear.

    It's wonderful to be getting on with all the jobs.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope it pops through for you soon.

      Delete
  6. One of our rhubarbs - the earliest variety is ready to harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lucky you, I'm very jealous, enjoy it.

      Delete
  7. I've recently bought my first rhubarb 'victoria' - I hope I will get some pink stalks this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I recall correctly you will need to leave it grow the first year before picking any stalks. I'm happy to be wrong though.

      Delete
  8. I have three rhubarb which I also don't know the name of.We are forcing one and I must really take a look at it,think after all this sunshine it will be this weekends job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone in not knowing what varieties. I may force one of mine next year. I hope you get some lovely stalks.

      Delete
  9. Your rhubarb looks great...I am going to be moving mine this year over to the 'bee' plot. This won't disrupt it though as it's in a pot. I am also going to get some more to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love rhubarb and yours is looking good now they have started growing again. I'm growing one called 'Timperley Early' and it really is I've just harvested my first picking, for a rhubarb and ginger crumble and it was so gorgeous. I've another patch of an unknown variety which I think I'm going to have to refrain from picking this year as its too small.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.