Tuesday, 28 May 2013

A bit of a round up

Well that was a bit of a blogging break I wasn't expecting. After spending a couple of days in the garden last week I was absolutely whacked & then too busy in the week to log on & blog.

I have cleared the brassica patch & re-sown with some rooty type things.
Can you make out my wonky row of parsnips? I really must use a line to sow. The bed above is 8 ft by 4 ft. I have sown an 8 ft row of parsnips, just enough to give a taste. I have sown them rather thickly as they don't germinate very well apparently. Though this row looks lush & green so I will have to do some serious thinning soon.

Also in this bed I have sown some Florence fennel ( I love this roasted round a chicken) Mike will happily eat it raw in a salad but I'm not keen. Some kohl rabbi & baby turnips. They are normal turnips really but I shall pull them when they will be small. Also some beetroot seeds have gone in. I lost the beetroot seeds I had so we had to nip out for some more. Mike wanted to try some Chioggia beetroot which is stripey & I wanted to try some yellow beetroot. Upon perusing the seed selection Mike spotted the one he wanted & I was attempting to read the seed packet of the yellow variety I had picked up. I gave up reading & just stuck it in the basket as I had some one wittering in my ear & couldn't concentrate. Yes Mike I am talking about you! It was when I was about sow the seeds I realised I had picked up some yellow skinned white fleshed beetroot instead, not sure I am so keen now.

Also in the above bed I have sown some cumin seeds at the back & some spring onions at the front.

Lots & lots of weeding has taken place & the raspberry bed has been freed from the bindweed. I tell you I found some thick juicy bindweed stems there. Must be the weather for it. The broad beans are smothered in flowers & nearly all of the runner beans have started to sprout through the soil by their canes, I'm pleased about that as I took a chance & sowed them direct.
Another thing I took a chance on were some left over Zinnia seedlings. I had run out of space in the flower border so I stuck them between the runner beans. I hope to have a few pickings for the house.

Anyway I have lots more to blog about & don't want to bore you all too much in one post & I really need to play catch up on your lovely blogs so I wish you all have a good day!

12 comments:

  1. Don't broad bean flower smell beautiful.

    Must admit we have grown all sorts of colours of beetroot but have gomne back to the red one. When we grew Chioggia the stripes disappeared after cooking as the red stripes bled into the white ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the scent of the flowers. Nearly did my back in yesterday by bending down to sniff them. I'm allowed a veg magazine soon & I know they are giving away some normal beetroot seeds.

      Delete
  2. You've probably done the right thing sowing your runner beans direct. I sowed mine in to pots a few weeks ago, but I think it was too cold for them and only a few have germinated. I'll have to plant those out and fill the gaps by sowing direct, I should have saved myself a job and sowed the lot direct. You've just reminded me that I haven't sown any beetroot, so that's something else to put on the jobs list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest it was more to conserve the compost by sowing direct. I have spent a huge amount of money on compost this year. It has worked well though.

      Delete
  3. I had a try with golden beetroot, but wasn't impressed. It was nowhere near as vigorous as the red types and it didn't have such a strong taste. I am back to red-only this year. I sowed my Runner Beans in pots which I kept in one of my plastic greenhouses, and they all germinated. I planted them out this past weekend. Now the are being well watered-in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to roast them Mark, I must say I'm really not keen on trying a white beetroot though. We shall have to have a runner bean race.

      Delete
  4. I tried the golden beetroot last year with disastrous results so like Mark I'm back to the Boltardy - be interesting to see how you get on with them. I think direct sown things are probably hardier but slugs are a problem, but then slugs are always a problem which ever way you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps the slugs will do me a favour & eat the white beetroots for me.

      Delete
  5. Goodness, you have been busy! Those parsnips do look good. Mine haven't done much yet.

    I too love fennel, especially with roast veg, gives a lovely flavour.

    Bindweed.....what a curse that stuff is.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have come through extremely well. I really will have to do some thinning soon & I agree bindweed is awful, especially if you come across some hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your broad and runner beans are doing well, and much better than mine.
    I grow golden beetroot which I like being sweeter than red ones, and have eaten white ones which are okay.
    I'm going to sow some zinnias during the next week as I was recently given some seeds. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. Good luck with your Zinnias they are one of my favorite flowers.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.