Monday, 13 May 2013

A rainy Sunday afternoon.

Sunday tends to be my main day in the garden. I like to potter, plan & do a touch of weeding. The plus point of  a small plot is you can keep on top of things.

Yesterday I spent an hour in the greenhouse sowing the sweetcorn & chard. I have planted the sweetcorn in toilet roll tubes so they can gain a good root depth before the final planting.I was also willing some seedlings to grow bigger so I can plant them out. I need the space now for tubs of tomatoes, cucumber, sweet peppers, aubergines & chillies.

I have read that this summer is supposed to be another washout I'm happy to wait & see. Most of my veg plants have been sown in the greenhouse this year to be of a big enough size to give them more of a fighting chance.

I rather like being in the greenhouse when it is raining. I like the patter of raindrops on the glass & the feel of the compost against my hands whilst I pot up. It also has a lovely old fashioned smell.

Anyway these two photographs were taken at the beginning of last week when it was sunny. The top photo is of a celery plant. I have six in all & plan on planting them in tubs. I filled some coir pots with compost & sowed a celery seed in each one. They are more than ready for their final planting & I hope to get this completed next weekend.

The bottom photo is of celeriac. Only three plants, just to try. I'm going to stick them in a block with the fruit bushes a couple of weeks after I feed the soil with some nematodes. With only three plants I really don't want to take a risk with the slugs gobbling them up.
Enjoy your day

14 comments:

  1. It's throwing it down here at the moment, I'm glad I walked Archie early today before the clouds came over. My greenhouse is full of seedlings, too small to plant out, yet my tomatoes really could do with being set in their final positions now, it's all a juggling act at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been dry but windy here today. I think i will have to shift the plants out at the weekend & see what happens.

      Delete
  2. It's definitely a strange year (once again) for veggie growers. I too have lots of seedlings that are not quite big enough to go out, but then it keeps getting sooooo cold at night that perhaps it's a good job that I have to wait a bit.

    My greenhouse is now full of trays of seedlings and I am running out of space and I need to get round to the next wave of planting to keep us fed for as long as possible.

    Your celery and celariac plants look lovely and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a strange year again. I'm sure it can't get much colder though.

      Delete
  3. Sunday is such a nice time to be out in the garden. Lots to look forward to this year then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping there is lots to look forward to.

      Delete
  4. Our celery seedlings have faded away - I think we will give up on them now!

    AS for summer - how come the forecasters one minute can only forceast a few days on but suddenly are saying summer will be poor again? Like you I'll waut and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, mine have been very pampered I think.

      Delete
  5. I too love to sit in the greenhouse, the smell is wonderful. Your little plants look fresh and healthy.Oh no....please not another washout!!!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see that you're still busy and it's all looking okay. Fingers crossed that we don't have another one of 'those' summers! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your plants look like they're thriving. I lost a lot of my greenhouse plants last year to mice and other pests, so I've worked hard to repair glass, stop holes, improve light etc. I'm expecting everything to be safe this year, but like you I'm juggling space for seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't own a greenhouse but when I was a child my neighbour had one and I loved to sit in there when it was raining. It was usually hot and there was this overpowering scent of tomatoes :) It was really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love to be in the greenhouse as it rains...I love to see the rain coming down and yet not suffer the wet and chill!! My celeriac has stared to sprout but isn't as big as yours. If I have no joy this year I may give up on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.