Saturday, 4 May 2013

Alliums

For such a small plot I seem to have a large selection of the Allium family growing in it. But they are a pretty useful addition to have in the kitchen & I really don't think there are too many dishes that I make where I don't use them.

For some reason only known to the deepest darkest recess of my mind I have a huge amount of shallots this year. Far too many for my tiny plot. Last year I purchased some Asparagus crowns from a magazine offer. I also ordered some French Shallots. Anyway the packet arrived in due course & there were loads of them. Like a complete fool I planted all of them & now I am without that part of the garden until July. I have learnt my lesson.

French shallots & garlic planted in a 8 ft by 4 ft bed. The shallots look like green spiders & are planted either side of the garlic. These shallots shall be roasted whole in their skins & the flesh squished out, used for risotto & on the BBQ.

Normal shallots planted in two troughs. I am planning to pickle these once they are ready.

Red onions, I love these in salads or sandwiches. They are lovely & sweet straight from the garden. I shall also be making some onion marmalade.
Leek seedlings coming through. I didn't have any leeks in the garden last year. I did sow some & planted them. However the bird feeder was right next to where I planted them. The birds are messy feeders & when I was hand weeding the seeds that had germinated I found I had pulled the majority of my baby leeks too.

I also have spring onions which are far nicer pulled from the garden than the course ones bought from the supermarket. And for the first time I have sown some Silver-skin onion seeds. I like tiny pickled onions where as Mike prefers larger ones (hence the shallots in troughs) only I don't think they have germinated yet Apart from the flowering kind in the front garden. that is my onion family collection for this year.

Enjoy your day

13 comments:

  1. I haven't got my onions and shallots in the ground yet, that's a job for this weekend. I'm having a go at growing onions from seed again this year, though I'm also planting some sets just to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apart from the shallots in the troughs & the leeks, mine were planted last autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I shall take a photo of them & post it especially for you. I forgot about them.

      Delete
  4. Nice! I'm curious how does this onion marmalade taste :) Share us the recipe later in the season, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will indeed. It is fairly sweet but very nice with cheese.

      Delete
  5. You can never have too many onions of any description, my sets will be going in the new bed tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck & yes they are very useful.

      Delete
  6. You have a great selection of alliums there. I'm also interested in the onion marmalade; I look foward to hearing more about that. And I had a great crop of leeks last year, but because I'm so behind this year I haven't planted mine yet. A job to do this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like, Jo we still have to get out onions and shallots planted out. There are always far too many sets in the bags supplied.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are such a useful thing to grow as they keep so long once they're harvested, so nothing goes ot waste!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've plenty of variety that's for sure.
    I just grow white and spring onions, and I really must grow some flowering alliums.
    Enjoy the weekend. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.