Thursday, 30 May 2013

Celery

After my success with growing cauliflower which I grew four of.I thought I would give celery a go. Celery is supposed to be a tricky veg to grow. Perhaps its all the faffing about with making a trench & earthing it up rather than it being tricky. A proper guide for those who wish to have a more expert view I do have a tendency to chuck it in & see.

Anyway a couple of months back, I sowed in individual coir pots six celery seeds which very nicely sprouted for me. Last week I planted my baby celery plants in pots & placed them outside.
Don't they look lovely?
The variety is Granada  for no other reason than the seeds were half price from the local garden centre when I bought them. When the plants are larger I shall be wrapping some sort of contraption round them to help blanch the stems. It may be a plastic tube or then  again some nice thick cardboard. Naturally I shall be stepping up the slug patrols at that time.

Even though I have a small plot I can pretty much at relevant times of the year grow enough of certain crops to make a cost saving. Not that this is why I grow my own, I'm in it more for fun. However after purchasing two packets of celery for 49p each recently I very much doubt my six plants will save me any money at all. Though of they do well I may grow a few more next year. Enjoy your day

19 comments:

  1. I grew celery for the first time last year - it did really well it didn't dig it up just used it a stalk at a time when I needed it and it is still growing. Amazing after the winter we had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's an idea just pulling a stalk at a time.

      Delete
  2. We've given up on trying to grow celery and celeriac. We grew the self blanching variety. The plants grew fine but the celery didn't produce stems - not the sort you could eat and the celeriac had no swollen root.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touch wood by transplanted celeriac is looking ok so far & the celery too.

      Delete
  3. I wasn't successful with growing celery, but I'll try next year again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have some success with growing it in pots I will be growing again next year.

      Delete
  4. I've never grown celery, it's something we don't really eat. Your plants look lovely and healthy, it's surprising how well things do when grown in pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike loves the stuff & I always use it when frying onions for the base of something. I'm pleased with how healthy they look.

      Delete
  5. We have celery every year...and we don't really pay much attention to it. We grow seedlings like every other vegetable, throw them in the garden and don't really look at it till the fall. It always grows nice. Don't know why, maybe it has to do with soil, or weather or who knows what...I'm sure your celery will be excellent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, perhaps your fingers are greener than mine.

      Delete
  6. My experience with Celeriac has been very disappointing - bulbs the size of tennis-balls - but I have never tried Celery. I wouldn't have thought it would do well in containers, but if you are successful I might follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never grown it before so it is more of a trial. The celery however I have high hopes for.

      Delete
  7. Your plants look fine! I've never tried to grow celery either, but may have a go in some pots too :o)
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celery is one of the very first veg that we grew last year and we just stuck the seeds in the ground no faffing done and we got 6 plants, they taste incredible and we chopped them up and froze them for winter use and I have just finished my last bag. We are growing 6 again this year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that with any leftover bought celery. I don't eat much of the stuff raw. I am trying it in pots due to lack of space in the veg beds.

      Delete
  9. That look really good and I bet they will taste so much better than the 49p ones

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't eat celery so I don't grow it. Those I know who do seem to have very mixed results so good luck. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grew celery in my last year with the polytunnel and it was pretty good, much more bitter than the stuff in the shops but great for cooking with.

    I used Pringle tubes on the stalks to try and get them to stay pale, not altogether successful but the Pringles were delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.