Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Herbs

Today's post was supposed to be about my strawberry planter which is now choc full of strawberries. Well to be more exact strawberry plants. I have failed to take a photo of the planter so it will be a post for later on in the week.

Perusing the album of photographs taken over the weekend I was looking for inspiration & saw this image.
A pot of Tarragon. I have kept this plant & its sister plant going for three years. It makes me feel like a proper gardener.

Tarragon prefers a warn dry climate & hates our frosty winters. I normally stick the pots in the greenhouse over the winter period. However I forgot last year & feared the worse when I remembered about them. Which was the end of January I think.

Geoff Hamilton  must have been smiling down on me from heaven as both pots survived their ordeal & have sent up nice new sprigs of tarragon for me to use. It has a warm aniseed sort of taste which I love & I also use it a lot in cooking.

The two thyme bushes a sage & the mint do need to be replaced however. Which means a trip to the garden centre, the local one in walking distance stocks a good selection of herbs & if memory serves me correct I can choose 6 for £10.

Enjoy your evening

12 comments:

  1. I try and keep a good supply of herbs in the greenhouse but last evening my wife was setting out the ingredients for tonight’s supper with friends and discovered I had not planted Cilantro so it is off to the Nursery for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have scattered some corriander(cilantro) seeds in the garden. I use it a lot if I make curry. I am going to let some go to seed this year too.

      Delete
  2. I lost some of my herbs over winter so I'll be taking a trip to the garden centre too. I grow most of them in pots, but I've got chives in the border and they do really well, they're just getting buds and will be in flower soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My chives have flourished since I planted them direct into the ground & my rosemary.

      Delete
  3. Last week I cut back our sage and thyme plants. We have some on the plot and others in containers in the garden. The chopped off sage has been used as cutting material - just couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thyme, mint & sage were kept in pots but i did neglect them. I am hoping for a border to be extended in the back so I can plant them direct into the ground, save the mint of course.

      Delete
  4. I bought a couple of very nice Thyme plants at Morrisons yesterday, at £1 each. Better value than the ones from the Garden Centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Mark, I find you can pick up some really good bargains for the garden at Morrisons.

      Delete
  5. I lost most of my herbs last year, even my Rosemary, I have sown a lot of seed and bought new plants, can not be without fresh herbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You use so much in cooking don't you. It would cost me a fortune in those little packets from the supermarket.

      Delete
  6. I grow a few herbs for the foliage, and flowers, rather than for culinary use. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rosemary is looking beautiful flighty. Since I planted it in the ground it has flowered & I only use the odd sprig in cooking.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.