Thursday, 16 May 2013

Its all go

Feeling very pleased with myself this morning. I have sown some Little Gem lettuce seeds, two types of Radicchio & some Chicory & before I forget some Corn salad. Oh Oh Oh & some spring onions. I have taken the precaution of sowing the seeds in little plant pots. Also when these little plants are big enough they will be going in tubs rather than the ground. Just another precaution against the snails & slugs.

I have also planted into the ground my three globe artichoke plants & I have two spaghetti squash & two patty pan squash plants ready to squeeze in between the fruit bushes.

Also with great excitement I can announce that an asparagus spear has come forth. Only one but its a step in the right direction. I shan't be picking for the next couple of years & the crowns have been planted in a mixed bed but have a spot by themselves. I know the asparagus crowns should have a bed all to themselves but I lack the space to do that. Also my neighbour has grown asparagus for yonks & yonks amongst some flowers in a rock garden. He can often be seen picking fistfuls of the stuff, so I have a chance.

No photographs of the above yet so here are some blossom ones to brighten up this post. Enjoy your day
Apple

Cherry

Pear

13 comments:

  1. I've got some more sowing to do too, there's some things which haven't germinated so I need to do some repeat sowing. It looks like your fruit trees are going to do well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased with them & they were all cheap trees.

      Delete
  2. Oooh Asparagus, that's what my Lovely Hubby has been after growing for ages, but we have been moving around like gypsies this past few years so I haven't been able to get a bed going. Hopefully I wil be able to plant some next year :-)

    Your Pear blosom is beautiful, it's looking much more promising this year for the fruit trees isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed you get the place you want, you will be able to grow acres of it then.

      Delete
  3. You did a lot more than I did as I just pottered doing little more than a bit of hoeing and weeding. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As impressive as it sounds I assure you I was out no longer than 1/2 an hour.

      Delete
  4. Your blossoms are looking very promising and all that sowing being done to. I planted a lavender hedge around the bottom of the lawn all grown from seed last year. Such a thrill to watch those little seeds sown with love flourish xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a fab feeling seeing your seeds come to life.

      Delete
  5. Asparagus is worth the wait! But you can keep the Globe Artichokes - I really think they are more trouble than they are worth. Leave them to flower, for the bees to enjoy, I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slugs might get them way before the bees Mark!

      Delete
  6. I'm ashamed to say that I've still only planted one lot of seeds and they're violas. The seed packets keep 'looking' at me making me feel guilty ;o)
    Hope the asparagus does well - I haven't checked mine yet.
    Best wishes
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sowed some violas from seed & they are now happily edging one of the veg beds.

      Delete
  7. I tried an asparagus bed once but I fear by the time I got around to planign them they were dead and so nothing happened with them. Since then I have used the space I had put aside for them but I may start a bed on the bee plot as it is not something that will need a lot of tending...i do love asparagus!!

    I have been very busy planting...really need to think about getting some more leafy stuff in the ground though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.