Thursday, 9 May 2013

Loganberry

A couple of years back I bought a Loganberry bush/plant? however you describe them. Why I bought one I have no idea, possible by reading a blog or reading a magazine & thinking I'd like one of them.

A Loganberry is a cross between a raspberry & blackberry, both of which I have in the garden. The few berries I picked last year in August & September were a very deep, dark red colour & were firm to the touch. They were also very tasty, they tasted more of raspberry but with the firmer texture of a blackberry.

I kept it in its pot for the first few months as I was at a loss where to plant it as the canes can grow quite long. I soon realised I didn't have the space for it to reach its full potential in the back garden where the veg/fruit plot is. I did however have a small piece of ground spare in the front garden where we we have a gate to reach the back garden.

Courtesy of a cheap metal archway, there is plenty of space for the canes to scramble up (providing I tie them in)



I was unsure how to care for it after it fruited for the first time last year, I found out that the canes which had fruited should be cut down to ground level & canes that hadn't fruited should be tied to the support structure.

This foxed me a bit, I couldn't see any that hadn't fruited, so I took a chance & cut half of the canes back to the ground & the remaining ones back by half.

This seems to have worked well. The canes that were still tied in have flower buds on them & there is new growth coming through at the bottom.

Enjoy your day

10 comments:

  1. Many years ago I worked on a fruit farm, we picked loganberries that were grown between tightly stretched wires. Nasty vicious things they were but the fruit is amazing. In my garden I have Jostaberries, no thorns, big juicy fruits and no need for wires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they sound lovely, I shall have to have a google.

      Delete
  2. I bought a tayberry, also a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry, at the back end of last year. It's still in it's pot as I've been thinking of how to build a structure at the allotment for it to grow up, but you've come up with a great solution there. I wonder if my tayberry would grow up one of those arches, I think I'll try it, it will save me, or should I say Hubby, a load of extra work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tayberry too, I have planted it in the middle of a plastic wigwam, though by choice I think the arch would suit it better.

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous! I love loganberries, hopefully you'll get lots of fruit this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is looking likely, I should have more than last year anyway.

      Delete
  4. It looks like you've done the right thing with this, and I hope that you get a bumper harvest this year.
    I like blackberries and raspberries but not keen on any of these hybrids!
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a tayberry which is very similar - just watch out for the vicious thorns when you walk past it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have loganberry bushes and really cut them back hard each year. It's amazing how robustly they come back. I tend to eat the fruit while I'm pottering1xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a Loganberry once, but it was very prone to Raspberry Beetle infestation and I had to give up on it - which was a shame, since we loved the fruit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.