Friday, 10 May 2013

Strawberries

Not long ago I purchased a strawberry planter. Its a nasty plastic terracotta affair, I do so hope it will fit its purpose.

The main reason for buying it was because I didn't want strawberries in the ground after last years minuscule harvest of about three strawberries from about 20 plants. The weather, slugs & blackbirds saw to the rest of them.

My new strawberry planter has spacing's for 32 strawberry plants, imagine the cost involved of purchasing new plants. Especially as I love perusing magazines looking for nice named varieties. The strawberry plants in the ground were chosen especially for their names, one of them was 'Florence'. I ripped up the plants from the ground in a fit of resignation & failure vowing to myself to never to grow strawberries again'.

By chance I spotted an advert by marshalls-seeds for 30 'Elsanta' strawberry plants at £9.90 I think they were less than £10 anyway. The ideal way to fill the strawberry planter on the cheap I thought.

I'm not expecting great things this year, I shall give it a chance to fill out first.

Anyway I wasn't too diligent when ripping up the old strawberry plants, a by product of my slap-hazard gardening style. There were a few that survived winter in the ground, hidden runners I think as I was pretty sure I dug them all up & I received about 36 'Elsanta' plants in the post. Far too many for my planter so the excess have been dotted in a few small pots & around the fruit trees in barrels.

Enjoy your day

18 comments:

  1. All my strawberries,apart from 3, are now in pots and troughs. The rebel 3 were given to me and are tucked in a corner to see if I like them. If they pass the taste test I will pot up runners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of strawberries, free plants to come.

      Delete
  2. I had a bad strawberry year, too, last year because of the weather. I think it's always worth trying new ways of growing them. I no longer grow them in beds, but grow them in a row of hanging baskets, which has worked really well (when it doesn't rain all spring and summer!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did occur to me to try hanging baskets but I saw the planter for such a good price.

      Delete
  3. I've just bought some new strawberry plants too, though mine are destined for the allotment. Mine were more expensive than yours, but were already potted up so they're already nice established plants, though they'll still need time to settle in. You got a great bargain there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the price alone that swayed me. Elsanta are supposed to be the supermarket variety so I wasn't too keen. They are meant to be much nicer grown at home though.

      Delete
  4. If they all fruit you're going to have lots of strawberries! I'm not that fussed about them so have just 12 plants on the plot, some of which have just started flowering.
    Have a good weekend. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are far from flowering yet Flighty. I can always find a use for strawberries.

      Delete
  5. It's a good idea to grow your strawberries this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do hope I get a decent crop now.

      Delete
  6. I gave up on both ways of growing them and just buy them fresh at the market. I do keep my planter full still but they are considered bird food now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a large pick your own farm at the posh farm shop up the road to fall back on. The planter also came with a net so should help a bit with the bird problem.

      Delete
  7. Here's hoping your garden is filled with berries this summer!

    I've read that they don't produce their first year. Did you plant them for the first time last year? If so, that's likely why you didn't get berries. I think years 2-4 are their heavy producing years.

    Good luck!
    KK
    www.preppypinkcrocodile.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones out of the garden were planted last year, the ones planted in the planter were ordered this year. If I get more than a handful I will be happy.

      Delete
  8. All mine are in purpose made terracotta planters; roughly 16 to each pot. A few slug pellets, plenty of water, and a nice sunny spot, and we have plenty of fruit for several weeks; grabbed by whoever passes by first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does make me more hopeful for the planter, all I need now is a bit of sun to go with it.

      Delete
  9. Ours really do grow well in the ground on the plot - we have had many years when we have a huge crop but last year was exceptional and berries spoiled due to all the rain. I don't think being in a pot would have saved them in all honesty. I hope your planter is successful but take care watering as often the top plants can get very dry and the bottom waterlogged. Is there a special tube in the middle to help avoid this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awful last year I agree. Yes there is a special tube in the middle of the planter. I still water the top & the little pockets to make sure though.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.