Sunday, 12 May 2013

The problem with having an under gardener

I find the problem with having an under gardener (Mike) is that he thinks he has any say so in the design of the garden.  Naturally we discuss plans, mainly what I want & he says no (at first). I would also like to point out he has unlimited sports viewing, playing & I'm more that happy for him to go fishing at the weekend so don't be feeling sorry for him. The man has a good life.

A new border has appeared where we had the fence/wall replaced. Mikes idea was to use it as a walkway to gain access to the fruit bushes & rhubarb. He wanted to cover it in slate chippings. Now if I have the opportunity to fill a space of nearly 2 ft deep by 10 ft wide it wont be by slate chippings.

I have planted a jasmine in the far corner & am planning on some wild garlic next to it. In the centre a wine-berry bush & then three yellow raspberry canes. Slate chippings indeed I don't know what the man was thinking of. I have backed down & agreed to a covering of bark with my plants.
Enjoy your day

13 comments:

  1. Jasmine and garlic - could be the latest designer perfume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. & a very nice scent I'm sure it would be.

      Delete
  2. I have decided that I need a wine berry bush, I have no idea what it is but I just Know that I need one. Just a little look see round the web and find the nearest, I hope it is Baytree at Weston, I love that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have the same need though I have read they are very tasty berries.

      Delete
  3. I think man and women will always want different things in a garden. They tend to see it as a place for tools and landscaping. Women usually want something softer. Such is life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct Mike would like more space for a larger man cave in the garden. It isn't going to happen.

      Delete
  4. Too good an opportunity for more planting rather than slate chippings, I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed & really I am saving him money in the long run.

      Delete
  5. Enough of this Gender Stereotyping, I say! My wfie wants nothing to do with the garden as long as it continues to produce veggies and herbs. Must try getting her to do some digging one day... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike does stick his nose in the garden every so often & helps. He does need constant supervision though.

      Delete
  6. I smiled when I read this post as my dad often used to say I'm the under gardener so do just what your mum tells me to do. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I used to be my dads under gardener.

      Delete
  7. Where will you get your wild garlic from?? I would really love to have some too. My hubby has no interest in the garden at all...so therefore I just tell him what I have done after the fact...lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.