Monday, 24 June 2013

Drat

We had a gale here yesterday & it was fierce enough to not only break the stems on the brussel sprouts it also snapped Harry's sunflower in half. The blinking thing also let loose in the front garden & not only scattered rose petals on the grass but tore off three whole flowers. Apart from a few berries & currants everything else seems fine.

The sunflower I had placed next to a cane but hadn't tied it, the brussel sprouts & broccoli were not staked so really it was my fault. I have one brussel sprout plant left, oh dear I shall just have to do without sprouts this year for Christmas lunch.

Anyway this morning the wind had dropped sufficiently for me to gather some canes & to stake & tie the remaining brussel sprout plant & the broccoli plants. I also seized the chance to do some weeding, to my great shame I gathered a full bucket & I only have a small garden! However the bucket did contain some thinned parsnips & turnips, so I cant be that slack really.

Not all bad news here - oh-no, look at these lovely things I harvested over the weekend -
Carrot fly free carrots, the first time ever for me. Mine are normally riddled with tiny white carrot fly maggots. They were grown with great care in the small greenhouse in a long trough. We had them boiled with lunch & very nice they were to. I shall pull the rest at the weekend & we shall have some grated in a salad & hopefully fingers crossed, have the remainder boiled along with new potatoes & broad beans. All three grown by me from the garden.

I have a couple more tubs of carrots in the greenhouse though these will be a few weeks off yet. I seem to be getting the hand of this succession sowing lark this year. I may take a chance & re-sow some in the trough at the weekend.

More good news -
Can you make out my asparagus, all five have started to come through. Took its time, yes I know it should be in a bed by itself but I am feeding it well (it has now been weeded since I took this photo) & my neighbour has had his for years in a rock garden type thing surrounded by flowers & he pulls a few fistfuls each year.

Enjoy your day

19 comments:

  1. Gardening rules are made to be broken. Sorry about your wind damage - must admit we never stake broccoli or sprouts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I staked the PSB last year, it does get quite windy in the back garden so I do normally stick a few canes in.

      Delete
  2. Your carrots look great, I'm glad they tasted delicious. The wind battered my comfrey here although it hasn't put the bumblebees off their flowers, fortunately. I worried about my climbing roses, too, they did get shaken around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were lovely, we really enjoyed them, I'm glad the wind didn't cause you to much damage.

      Delete
  3. The wind has been a nuisance over the weekend, I noticed a neighbour was having their roof repaired this morning. Such a shame about Harry's sunflower though. I've stopped growing sprouts, I'm never successful with them, but they're a must on Christmas dinner so I always buy some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, it doesn't sound good about your neighbours roof. It is a shame, I haven't told him yet, I do have other sunflowers in the garden but not one of Harry's now. I have never grown them before, hopefully with one plant I can give it some dedication.

      Delete
  4. Oh what a shame about the darn wind! We had a bad few days too and I'VE LOST LOADS OF FRUIT OF MY TREES.

    How lovely that you have carrots already....mine aren't that big yet.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no that is such a shame, I hope you have enough left. Mine were given a lot of help & protection with being under glass.

      Delete
  5. How annoying. I have to stake all my sunflowers, about 30 this year, as the plot is in the middle of the site and rather exposed.
    Lucky you with the carrots as I never have much luck growing them. I shall be sowing some seed this week to try again. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have more sunflowers left, all un-staked at the moment though they are more sheltered. Thanks, they have been in the small greenhouse since i sowed them, I shan't be having that luxury next year.

      Delete
  6. Phew; I got in just in time. I staked my Brussels yesterday, and my goodness did we have a gale here last night! I hope your one remaining plant will give you enough sprouts for your Christmas Dinner though! In place of the damaged ones you could perhaps put some Broccoli - the Tenderstem type I have grown matured in just 3 months, so you have time to get a crop before Autumn arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nicely staked now, & funnily enough it is in bed with normal broccoli & tenderstem.

      Delete
  7. Very frustrating, shame about the sunflowers. It was really windy wasn't it. Yes well done with the carrots, like Flighty I've never had much success with them. I've sown some in a pot this time and have had variable germination but some coming so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having lived few years in tornado country I despise wind of any sort, sorry to hear of the damage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how fun- I love asparagus!! I grew carrots successfully for the first time last year around a few tomato plants. Hoping that works with the same success this year too.

    KK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no. I seem to have spent the whole weekend running around with supports of one kind or another. The peas got blown clean off their sticks.. and all sorts of trouble in the flower borders.
    I'm thinking of trying asparagus, after reading your post.. I'm sure I can find somewhere to put it, if I don't need to find it a bed of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's all looking great, I am hoping to get an asparagus bed started next year...I do love asparagus!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.