Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Nearly

I shall be feasting on broad beans (hopefully this weekend) & broccoli, sorry I just can't call it calabrese & I think the 2nd photograph is the Tenderstem variety anyway. I sowed two varieties of summer broccoli earlier on this year. The normal one & for the first time some Tenderstem. With my slap hazard gardening skills I managed to mix them up when transplanting them into the ground. No matter, I'm sure I shall enjoy both of the them & it is not as if I am selling them to Tesco.


I am also looking forward to the fruit harvest this year, the Strawberries are looking good. I have many, many plants scattered around the garden. A couple escaped my culling from the ground so I'm sure the birds will have them. The majority are in tubs, a large strawberry planter & the remainder planted in the half barrels which contain the fruit trees.
Gooseberries for jam & a fool or two. I'm hoping to nip down the lane later to pick some elder flowers. I would like to attempt to make cordial this year & gooseberries like a drop or two of elderflower cordial.
 Last but not least, the blackcurrants are ripening, I am hoping to have enough for a pot or two of jam & some homemade cassis. Recipe here. Enjoy your day

13 comments:

  1. I planted a gooseberry and a blackcurrant in the allotment earlier this year. There's a few blackcurrants coming but it looks as though I'll have to wait until next year for gooseberries. Enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall do thank you, the gooseberries in the ground have faired much better. I shall be planting the one in the pot into the ground soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you with the broad beans, mine are still a few weeks away. I've had a few strawberries this week. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my strawberries are still green,it is still looking like a far bigger crops than last year though. I have been very patient with the broad beans, I was quite eager to pick them last week but restrained myself.

      Delete
  4. We are thinking of trying to make elderflower cordial but were a bit put off by the amount of sugar used. We have some elder on the plot and so have our own supply of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done well, broccoli already! Mine are way off. We have got redcurrants starting to ripen.. if I can keep the squirrels out of the fruit cage. Spent over an hour last night trying to mend holes in the netting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to see everything finally starting to grow and ripen isn't it, it's been a slow start this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'd love to eat gooseberries now! Mine are still unripe and hard, can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of any veg combination nicer than Broad Beans and Broccoli. I hope you really enjoy them! If it were me I'd probably have them with a roast chicken and lots of gravy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how lucky you are....my beans are nowhere near as far on as yours. I love broccoli, but the cabbage white always gets mine!!! Enjoy!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like it's all growing well. Good luck with your cordial. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been harvesting quite a few things now but did look at my gooseberries thinking I will need to pick them this weekend.Elderflower cordial or champagne decisions ,decisions

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mt broad beans have flowers but no pods yet so I am very envious!! I went to take a look at the cassis recipe but I really don't like gin so I don't think I will be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.