Friday, 14 June 2013

Salad bar

I'm fast running out of space. I am also highly reluctant to buy anymore pots so have had to make do with what I could find lying around.

Apart from Chard I don't want any leafy stuff in the ground because of the slugs & snails. Now the growing season is in full swing & the seed trays & small pots are empty I thought these would be ideal for growing leafy salad crops.

I'm pretty sure they can be grown in pretty shallow soil + it is a saving on compost.

To help keep them off the ground & to save the salad leaves becoming a buffet for the slimy residents of the garden, I assembled some old greenhouse shelves I had.
Ta-da, I have some mixed leaves, rocket, sorrel, poly cress, mizuna, radicchio & chicory. I also have my Little gem seedlings there out of harms way. I shall be sowing a few more Little gem seeds at the weekend, by doing this every so often it should save me from a glut.

Hopefully over the next few weeks I shall have some salad pickings.

Enjoy your day

18 comments:

  1. I hope that you manage to keep slugs away - I think the secret of growing in shallow compost is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Space is always a problem, as are slugs, so what you've done is a good idea.
    Thanks, you too! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it always handy to find some extra growing space.

      Delete
  3. What a good idea, as an extra precaution against the slimy things what about winding some copper tape around the bottom of the legs?
    (Just thought - I wonder if the stripped copper wire from cable work? Most men have some hanging about somewhere in the shed, and you wouldn't need much.)
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike has plenty of cables in the shed, I shall have a look.

      Delete
  4. I've got a few trays of lettuce going, they do seem to grow well enough in shallow soil or just trim them off as micro greens and they keep coming up for a few batches. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they do well, so far so good.

      Delete
  5. It looks good. The leaves will be a lot easier to pick at that height too, and won't be waterlogged if we get a deluge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't eat much salad so don't tend to grow that much, but the few things I do grow are always grown in containers. It's just not worth growing anything of this type in the ground or else it just gets munched. They should do really well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the salad stuff in the ground was eaten by slugs last year so I am not even thinking of putting it in this year.

      Delete
  7. I am growing all my leafy salads in trays too this year, and my spring onions and extra bits are in window boxes, to help keep the slimy monsters and the birds off them. I am thinking of converting my little wooden grow house into a salad house next year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, it should look rather pretty too.

      Delete
  8. I sow all my salad leaves into pots. I find it easier to harvest them just before I want to eat them without getting filthy. I also don't have an issue with the slugs/snails this way. I have sown radicchio straight into the ground though. I was given the seed last year and it was in a plain packet and as I had never heard of it wasn't sure how it would grow. Fingers crossed it becomes more than s;lug food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my fingers crossed for you too.

      Delete
  9. Ta-da indeed! Well out of harms way, looking forward to seeing them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever thinking! After finding slugs in lettuce and cabbage last year, I'm definitely growing my lettuces on my balcony in pots and troughs - although I have seen one or two aphids that have to be washed off!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.