Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Something new

Mike & I took a run out to the garden centre last week. More for a peruse than anything else. Harry joined us as it was the garden centre with the peacock & hen. I think the promise of a drink & cake in the tea shop swung it for him too.

Mike really wanted one of the hot chilli plants that failed to germinate earlier on in the year, thankfully they didn't stock any. I also think the eleven chilli plants we have is more than enough.

We did however find one of these -
Its a wasabi plant. It needs to be in a shady position & the compost needs to be kept damp at all times. Just your normal box standard compost, not any of your special stuff. I have grown watercress with great success in the past in the same manner, so hopefully it should do well.

Slugs are allegedly attracted to it so it should fit into my garden quite nicely. Hopefully the moat of water will help to keep most of them at bay.

Looking at the label, it needs to grow for a couple of years before any of the root can be harvested, which with luck will be at a similar time as my new asparagus crowns.

Not that I plan to mix the two though.

Enjoy your day

19 comments:

  1. I'm planning on growing watercress this year - just got a few bits rooted ready to plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often thought about using some rooted bits, I believe they root quite easily inn a glass of water, however in the past I have grown it via seeds in very damp compost.

      Delete
    2. It does root quickly - within a day!

      Delete
  2. I've grown watercress in the past but I've never grown wasabi, I don't even know what it is. I'll be interested to see how it does for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is a Japanese Horseradish, I think they have it grated with sushi & it is very hot.

      Delete
  3. Wasabi! Wow! I had no idea that was even a plant, I've just eaten the Wasabi peanuts etc.. I never even thought about where the weird green stuff came from!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first read about it in a book I had for Mothers day. James Wong Homegrown revolution. Its a first for me.

      Delete
  4. Wasabi is also called "Japanese Horseradish". I hope for your sake it is not as invasive as the ordinary Horseradish, which can take over a garden very easily!
    I sympathise with Mike though - 11 chilli plants is really not enough you know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have normal Horseradish in a large tub, in fact both are in tubs for very much that reason. Yes Mark, I do think 11 plants are ample, I shall let him loose next year though.

      Delete
  5. lovely post this is a new plant for me too likewise another to add to my list of things to try and get for new garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have never ending lists. I certainly do, sometimes I forget how small my garden is.

      Delete
  6. You may want to read Veg Plotting's blog post yesterday which was titled Wassup Wasabi? Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Flighty & I am pretty sure I replied, it was part of the reason why I posted.

      Delete
  7. I always grow watercress but had never grown Wasabi, I'll be interested to see how you get on with it.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the label I believe I have to leave it two years for harvesting. I do hope it does well,

      Delete
  8. I got a wasabi plant last year when I visited the edible garden show. I have it planted at the allotment within the herb bed near the hedgerow and it has done really well there planted straight into the soil.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.