Friday, 19 July 2013

Celery in pots

You have just got to try this next year. Especially if you are limited by space like I am. I have five pots of celery & they are growing fantastically well.
Just look at them!


I am so pleased  & they were so simple to do. I have wrapped some cardboard around the stems now & tied it into place with some string. This is my effort to blanch the stems & make them a nicer paler green, a bit like the stuff you buy in the shops because believe me, my celery is up there with the best of them.

I sowed the seeds earlier on this year & when the plants were big enough I transplanted them into some larger plant pots. The pots I used were the flower buckets you can buy from Morrisons. I think you get six in a pack for the price of 99p. You do have to drill some holes in the bottom of them for drainage but at 99p you can't complain really. 

I mixed some multi-purpose compost with some chicken manure pellets & the baby celery plants were popped into their new homes. They are watered every day (twice in the heat we are experiencing now) & fed once a week with some tomato food. I am so so pleased with the results & am really looking forward to harvesting them.I am planning to grow a few more next year.

Now, the bad lazy blogger that I am I would just like to say I have been reading your blogs but it has been whilst I have been in work & I can't really comment then. It has been unbelievably busy here what with work, huge harvests from the garden ( I have mange-tout coming out of my ears) & the boys final week in primary school. I have a couple of weeks off soon so normal service will be resumed.

Enjoy your day

13 comments:

  1. They look fantastic, though we're not very keen on celery so I've never grown it. Growing things in containers can be really helpful with some crops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have no success with celery. So now Morrisons have cottoned on have they? We got lots of those buckets for free ages ago - they were stacked with the cardboard boxes for people just to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grow my celery like this as well - have been eating the stuff for weeks now - one tip is don't cut the whole plant, just pull or cut off the outer sticks as you want it - Cut and come again celery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello,
    thanks for the inspiration!!! I think i will it try next year!
    you have a wonderful blog,
    greetings from germany,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't eat celery so don't grow it. Yours really looks good and I hope that it tastes even better.
    Have a lovely weekend, Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow they look so healthy and are growing really well. I've always given celery a miss as it looks so hard to grow. What an inspiration. Will take your advice.
    I'm the same with you regarding blogging, its such a busy time at the plot at the moment and with this weather, its better being in the garden!! I'm just catching up today while its too hot to be out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really makes me wish I planted some celery now....I do love it with a bit of salt!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would imagine it tastes better than the supermarket version, it looks so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did celery last year and have just finished the last bag from the freezer. Might have to try it pots next year as we simply didn't have room this year in the veg plot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really healthy looking plants, they look amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mangetout a-plenty here too... it must be a good year!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As you say, that Celery looks absolutely amazing. I'm a great fan of growing things in pots. As long as you have the time and the dedication to water them correctly it is actually easier to get the moisture levels right in a pot than it is in open ground.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Su huerto es maravilloso me gusta todo lo orgánico,felicitaciones,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.