Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Leeks

This year I am growing my leeks in tubs. I didn't have any leeks last year due to weeding them out of the bed they were in by mistake. The bird feeder used to be next to the bed in question. The birds being very messy eaters scattered seeds far & wide. I was pulling up the sprouted seeds one day & it wasn't until the scent of mild onion hit my nostrils that I realised most of the leek seedlings were in my bucket.


I had read somewhere that leeks follow on from early potatoes. With having a small plot my early potatoes are grown in tubs. The compost from the tubs was sieved by the lovely Mike & mixed with some of those chicken manure pellets. The compost was poured back into the tubs & leveled off. I made some holes with my dibber & the leeks were planted.

The blue recycling tub you see in the photo contains 20 leeks, I have two of these tubs & a couple of smaller pots containing 3 or 4 leeks each. If the roots seem a bit long & straggly I trim them, there is no need to do this but its one of the jobs I enjoy doing. You can also trim the top of the leaves but I have never done this as I really don't see the point. As long as they are planted with a good bit of depth to them you will get a lovely white shank. The planting holes are not filled in after, you simply water them in & gradually the soil falls into place around the leeks.

 I love leeks wrapped in ham & baked in a cheese sauce, should there be any left overs & rarely there is the cold mixture is used to make pasties & I like using filo pastry for this. Naturally as it is cold at harvest time there will be plenty of leek & potato soup served with some good home made bread. Soda bread by choice.

Enjoy your day

8 comments:

  1. Good luck with your leeks - maybe you should be a hairdresser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they do well, they should. My mother wanted either me or my sister to be a hairdresser you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I covet those recycling tubs! They would probably be good for growing carrots in - most veggies, in fact. Did you buy them or did someone give them to you? (I'm interested in the cost).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were given by the local council a few years back when they started to collect the recycling. Since then they have moved onto bags for the cardboard, plastic & tins. Hence we have three left over as we only use one now for glass.

      Delete
  4. We also love leeks, mine have suffered from rust the last couple of years so I am trying a different one. Our favourite has to be leeks cooked in a little butter then add chopped thyme and white wine and then cook until soft, beautiful with a Sunday roast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds lovely, I will have to try it.

      Delete
  5. I'm not that fussed about leeks so don't grow them, and a plot neighbour always gives me some. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know about just popping them in the soil and letting it fall back naturally around them, I'll remember that for next time, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.