Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Salad

 We had a lovely trip to Llandudno yesterday, considering it is only about 40 minutes away we have made plans to visit more often. It is a small welsh seaside resort & the boy really did enjoy himself so it turned into a pleasant afternoon by the sea.









As it was still warm on our return home I made a salad out of what we had available in the garden to be served with dinner.

Mixed salad leaves, radicchio (at least I think it was), cucumber & some spring onions.  I would love to know why they are called spring onions, they take an age to grow so are ready in the middle of summer & I always seem to struggle with them. 

Anyway, I also boiled a few new potatoes & Mike had some shop bought tomatoes with his as none of my plants have any ripe fruit yet.

Cooks privilege as I was the one to harvest & prepare the above, there was no quick opening of ready made salad bags for me, was this - 
A sort of pimms, I say sort of as I forgot to add mint & cucumber, it still tasted very nice though.

Enjoy your day

9 comments:

  1. Those onions certainly don't spring up for us either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so frustrating isn't it, I much prefer them from the garden than shop bought.

      Delete
  2. We wandered the promenade at Rhos on Sea on Saturday after another look around our new home. It's a beautiful area, but next time we will turn left and go to Llandudno as it's years since I've been there.

    I love the look of your home grown salad, so much more satisfying than simply opening a bag isn't it and so fresh.

    Pimms without cucumber - unthinkable :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day & it really is a great place to visit. Yes it was a bad mistake not putting any cucumber in.

      Delete
  3. Summer salad is on many a menu! I was wondering recently what the difference is between Spring Onion and Chives (will have to google it). My spring onion are huge this year, almost look like leek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones in the photo are actually silverskin pickling onions, my standard spring onions are still too small.

      Delete
  4. Your salad crop looks delicious and even with the missing cucumber and mint I love the sound of your cook's privilege!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That all looks and sounds rather tasty, and ideal after a trip to the seaside. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely to get tea from the garden,I agree that all cooks should have a well deserved treat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.