Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Summer brassicas

For some reason known only to the deepest, darkest recess of my mind I didn't net my two types of broccoli this year.

I am growing your box standard calabrese & for the first time some tender stem broccoli. The tender stem has been a huge success. It is rather like Purple Sprouting, you cut the main head when you deem it big enough for your needs & it sends up lots of lovely side shoots for you to pick over a period of time.  


My terrible photographs were taken a couple of weeks back, the calabrese is bigger now & one of the tender stem plants has nearly finished producing.

Anyway, they were planted in the bed where I have my fruit bushes. I can only think that the space & positions of the fruit bushes meant I was unable to net the veg plants effectively. That & I was under some kind of illusion that the cabbage white butterfly's would ignore my garden this year. Well they haven't. They have been fluttering in force for days now.

I used to be quite squeamish, it is amazing how having your plants eaten by bugs & slugs can knock that out of you.  I am on patrol twice a day squishing baby caterpillars & butterfly eggs. The little rotters have even attacked my baby winter brassica plants. I shall be investing in some new netting for when the latter have been planted.

Enjoy your day

10 comments:

  1. I can cope with eggs but am still squeamish about squishing live mobile things. I have an inner guilt trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teeny tiny ones I squash by rubbing them with my gardening glove. Luckily I have been checking the plants for weeks now & have only come across a couple of slightly larger ones, I flick them off.

      Delete
  2. I can't bring myself to squish them so they all get a flying lesson.....over into the woods...weeeeeeee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My slug get flying lessons into the field.

      Delete
    2. Me too and snails - it's amazing that they haven't yet evolved wings

      Delete
  3. Brassicas always need netting as I'm sure you now realise! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather peeved flighty that I didn't net.I already had it too.

      Delete
  4. I forgot to net mine too and how now officially handed them over....or what's left of them to the cabbage white.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning & night I have been out, it is too late for me to net now, just in case I miss a couple.

      Delete
  5. You lucky devil, our brassicas missed the growth and went straight to flowering :( but the cabbage whites are going crazy and so are the bees, so we have left them in to help the pollinators.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.