Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Sweetcorn

In the partly cleared shallot/garlic bed I had space to transplant my sweetcorn plants. They had been growing quite happily in the greenhouse but they really needed to be planted.

I sowed the seed several weeks ago now in toilet rolls tubes. The roots like a long run so I believe so the tubes gave them enough space.

Can you see them right in the middle. I have twelve plants in all & they have been planted in a block formation. 4 x 4 x 4.

The reason for planting like this is the tassels on the cobs are the female flowers. The tassels at the top of the plant are the male flowers, they sway in the wind & scatter the pollen That's a basic description anyway.

I had some spare chard plants so I have taken a chance & planted them around the first set of cobs I only hope I haven't left it too late to transplant my sweetcorn plants. Allegedly I should be expecting one or two cobs per plant. Time will tell.

Enjoy your day

13 comments:

  1. No not too late at all. I usually brush the sweetcorn plants with my hand as I walk by them to give them a little help with pollination in the unlikely event that there isn't enough wind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope we both do well with sweetcorn this year, I'm fed up of it being a let down since I've had my allotment. My chard is still in pots in the greenhouse, though it's big enough to be transplanted, just haven't got round to it yet. There's always jobs waiting to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've given up with mine as the seeds I sowed direct a month ago mostly didn't even germinate. I've re-sown the patch with more dwarf French beans. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My experiments with sweet corn have not met with success! :-( I think if space allows you would get a better result from having 20 x 20 rather than 4 x 4 ! (Yes, I know it's NOT possible in your garden - or mine either!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think my sweet corn will amount to much this year as I got it in late and it certainly will not match up to the old saying "good corn if knee high by the fourth of July"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be interested to see how you get on. I've never been that successful with corn and I really get disappointed because I LOVE sweetcorn. Take care. Chel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine look about the same size as yours, mine are strawberry corn. I hope yours work for you. Fresh picked corn is the best. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post I never try but will next year thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your corn does look great, I hope you do get two cobs per plant! I gave up growing it as it took up too much room in my little veggie patch.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never have much luck growing my own maize. However, there is a two acre field adjoining our house that is sown with maize. A-scrumping we will go... nothing nicer for a simple summer lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sweetcorn went out on the allotment a while ago now but the plants are looking nice and strong. Last year was a bad year for sweetcorn for me so I am hoping for a better crop this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots going on and plenty to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had better luck with late sowings and transplantings of sweetcorn but it depends on the late summer weather as to whether we get ripened cobs. This year I'm growing a variety called "Sweet Baby Orchard" corn because it's supposed to grow and ripen quickly so perfect for the typical short UK summer! And, so far, seems to be working!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.