Monday, 19 August 2013

A few pickings

A few pickings from the weekend -
In my box this week are two marrows, a patty pan squash, a courgette, runner beans, potatoes, some small yellow beetroot, two cucumbers & some raspberries.

The courgette, beetroots & some of the potatoes were roasted with a red onion yesterday afternoon. Served with some of the runner beans & a pork chop for dinner yesterday evening. The beetroot was lovely & sweet.

The remainder of the potatoes were divided into two bags, one for a colleague along with some runner beans & a cucumber. The second bag of potatoes was given to my sister.

Some runner beans were given to Mikes fishing partner.

The yellow baby marrow will be chopped into chunks for a courgette soup next weekend. The green baby marrow will be divided into two. One half will be cut into chunks for roasting the other half I may try stuffing with a spicy rice mixture.

The raspberries will be turned into white chocolate & raspberry muffins, just hope I can find the cases.

The patty pan squash will be a tester before I try stuffing the marrow.

So I only have a cucumber to make plans for, which in all honesty will probably be used with carrots & peppers to go with lunch on Thursday & Saturday.

Right I'm off, need to read some blogs, make carrot & lentil soup with cheese & herb scone type bread thing for dinner. Whilst I have the oven on I shall roast some butternut squash ready for tomorrow evening & cook some muffins. In between that I shall I'm sure be picking some runner beans, oh & some weeding.  A Joanne's work is never done.

Enjoy your day

24 comments:

  1. I'm envious of your patty pans, my plants haven't produced a thing yet. I'm really enjoying the beetroot I'm harvesting at the moment. I wrap it in tinfoil and roast in the oven, the skins just slip off then and it's delicious eaten warm or cold. Nice tray, I've got one the same which I'm waiting to review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I have about 7 of them, I'm rather pleased. Definitely going to try them again next year.

      Delete
  2. Last year my squashes performed so badly (just one fruit from the Patty Pan) that I decided not to sow any at all this year - which is a pity, since the warm summer would have probably produced some good specimens! I grew some Burpee's Golden Beetroot in 2011, but we weren't impressed with it. It was not as "earthy" as most of the red types, and rather over-sweet for my liking. This year I'm back to the old faithful "Boltardy".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be to do with this years weather but I have had a lovely crop from my squash plants. The beetroot has a yellow skin but white inside. I must locate the packet for the name.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful harvest. Reading that has me feeling hungry. I can smell your baking and roasting from here.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are as busy as the bees on the plot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A varied selection which you have, or are going to make, good use of. Unlike Mark I like yellow beetroot. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try an all yellow variety next year. I didn't read the seed packet until I got home & realised it was a yellow skinned white beetroot.

      Delete
  6. I have some patty pans which are new to me, so I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do with them. Are they like courgettes? Do I eat the skin? Remove the seeds? It will be an experiment. I also picked some golden beetroot today - also new to me, so I shall be interested to see what they taste like. Your harvest looks wonderful - so healthy. This time of year is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had time to try it yet, I will remove the seeds (if any). Chop the flesh & mix with what ever filling I end up stuffing it with. I'm going to try the skin.

      Delete
  7. Few picking...stil I envy what is in your little veg box. I so miss growing. I've been given a marrow by a friend who hates the stuff, think I may do it with rice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I rather fancy a spicy rice version of it.

      Delete
  8. What a great harvest. I'm intrigued by the patty pans, I've been thinking of giving them a go. You've got plenty to keep you busy and well fed. Good for you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to grow them, ideally I want the small yellow ones. I'm going to give them ago next year.

      Delete
  9. Crikey Joanne, you're so organised!
    I'm wandering down the veggie garden at the last minute, wondering what to have for dinner. (And wishing I'd done it before it started to rain.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to give the impression that I am organised because really I'm not.

      Delete
  10. I am loving the sound of white chocolate and home grown raspberry muffins...I would never of thought of making muffins with our raspberries! Must Google for a recipe unless you can send me one :) pretty please :)

    I've never heard of yellow beetroot, what does it taste like normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I make them I will post a recipe & photo. I have only had it roasted & it was sweet, very tasty though & I will certainly grow & cook it again.

      Delete
  11. I once stuffed a Patty Pan, then roasted it in the oven. It became so soft that it all fell apart. Tasted good though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure mine will fall apart the, as long as it tastes good that will be fine with me.

      Delete
  12. I once stuffed a Patty Pan, then roasted it in the oven. It became so soft that it all fell apart. Tasted good though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A brilliant harvest, and I love that you know exactly what you are going to do with everything straight away, sometimes it takes me a while to plan once I've been out picking :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.