Thursday, 1 August 2013

Flighty's favourites & a ramble

Above you can see some of the marigolds I grew from some seed sent by the lovely Flighty . Every year Mike collects seed from his marigolds & distributes some throughout the country by way of an offer through email. Its such a lovely thing to do & it really brightened my day when I received my envelope of seed earlier on this year. I still have some of the seed left but I'm going to have a dabble at collecting some of my own seed this year. My sister loved the marigolds & I would love to give her some seed to grow next year.

Onto my non garden related ramble. On Saturday 3rd of August the Trussell-Trust  will be collecting food bank items at local Asda stores. I have read about this on various other blogs & will be popping along to make a donation, if you are able to I urge you to do the same.

There are many, many reasons why the use of food banks has increased over the past years & my little gardening blog isn't the place to go into them, however, another thing I picked up whist reading blogs this morning was the lack of cooking skills a lot of people seem to suffer from.

Teaching children how to cook really needs to start at home, my children have been shown how to prepare meals from scratch. We eat very little in the way of ready meals. It does however need to be backed up properly when they attend Home Economics or whatever it is called now at high school.

My youngest son is starting high school this year & part of his education will be spent in the cookery class & like his older brother before him & his cousin last year he will be shown how to make sausage rolls & a fruit flan.

All very well & good except the ingredient list sent home simply required a block of shop bought pastry & a packet of sausage meat. Why couldn't the children have been shown how to make a simple shortcrust pastry instead of relying on shop bought stuff. For the price of a block of pastry you could buy a packet of flour & some margarine/butter. Surely that would be a better lesson for the children on what you could then do with the remaining flour & butter over the next few meals. It isn't rocket science just common sense which sadly a lot of people seem to lack now. The sausage meat could be split into two & meat balls made with the left over meat & a simple tomato sauce to go with them. The fruit flan really gets on my goat though, why on earth would you teach young people to buy a sponge flan base, some cream & a selection of soft fruit, my sister spent £6.40 on the ingredient list. Anyway I could go on & on it really does nark me, probably more now because the boy will be doing these lessons soon. I'm not having a go at the teachers I'm really not, though whoever decided on the lesson content really needs to be shown a thing or two.

Anyway do pop along & donate if you can there are a lot of people out there that really do need help.

Enjoy your day

16 comments:

  1. Marigolds are some of my favourite flowers. The food bank is a worthwhile activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very cheerful flowers, yes the food bank is extremely worthwhile.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree, my 15 year old son's school cookery lessons were pathetic. It's so sad that so little is thought of something that is so important and sets you up for adult life. Good post. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a mother it is my job to ensure my children have the essential skills when I let them loose in the world, I do feel that cookery lessons in high school should prepare them better for that life.

      Delete
  3. I took the domestic science teacher to task at my daughters school in the 1980's when she came home with a list for her cookery class, which, similar to yours, required ready made pastry and tinned fruit for a fruit pie.

    I was taught to cook at school and each week we were given the ingredients we needed to take the next week for the lesson, We had a whole morning in the domestic science block. We were also taught to do laundry, iron, sew, and make a bed. We lived with my Grandmother and she would not allow me in the kitchen. Fortunately my aunt was not so precious about her kitchen and once a week, when she was pregnant, I went and spent the day cooking for her and my Uncle. Sttod me in good stead in later years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it seems things haven't changed, cooking has always interested me, I haven't been taught by my parents all I know has been picked up over the years. All I was taught to make in high school was a Swiss roll & a Victoria sponge a little thought is all I ask.

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately for some reason skills that prepare you for life did not find there way onto the National Curriculum.

    I used to bake with my primary children and then we had so much to cover through the NC that we didn't have time. I think things may have slackened off a little now as many schools are growing their own and cooking the vegetables grown now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sons primary school has a little veg plot, the nursery children sell the veg to the parents. Unfortunately there are no lessons regarding where the vegetables grow & why & certainly no cookery lessons. The fruit flan irks me far more than the sausage rolls.

      Delete
    2. Maybe if they are young teachers - that is all they know. My sister once had to take a packet of cake mix to school to make a cake she was disgusted as we baked with mum. This was at secondary school too!

      Delete
    3. Indeed that may be a factor, the classic cake mix story is classic. I'm sure i would have been equally appalled.

      Delete
  5. Many thanks for the mention, it's much appreciated. Collecting seed from these is easy, and I hope to do a post about it sometime soon.
    I also recommend The Seed Site, link via my blog under Plot People, for everything to do with seeds.
    I agree with what you say in your ramble, and I'm ever thankful that my mum taught me to cook. I despair that there are food banks here. It also appals me that over a third of all food produced, not only in the UK but worldwide, is wasted. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, one of my biggest bug bears is wasted food, not so much the boys on their dinner plate, I tend to serve things in bowls on the table so you can help yourself. It is left-overs that are being chucked away that annoys me.

      Delete
  6. I thoroughly agree with what you say about the lamentable state of people's cooking skills. In our family cooking is something we all enjoy, and each generation seems keener than the last. My 4-year-old granddaughter knows more about cookery now than I did at 21! She is even going to a kids' cookery session with Raymond Blanc. We really should try very hard to wean our young people away from the Processed Food mentality, and get them to understand raw ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely thing for your granddaughter to do. the amount of processed food on offer is unbelievable, I have a friend who buys nothing but ready made meals for her & her family. An unbelievable cost not only to finances health I wonder.

      Delete
  7. I love marigolds,, they're easy to grow and look great in every garden :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.