Friday, 30 August 2013

It's nearly autumn

I love autumn I'm pretty sure it is favourite season of the year. Even though they all have their benefits.

This autumn we shall see my 40th birthday, the eldest boy returning to uni & the youngest starting high school.

In the garden we have
Look! a butternut squash, in fact I have two but this one seems to be getting bigger each day. I'm very excited as I thought I had planted it out to early, it seemed to take ages for the plant to grow.
Sweetcorn & there are some rather fat looking cobs among the plants. I think I have about 20 cobs all together. Not quite ready for harvesting yet though.

The apples are nearly ready too. I really need to find the time for some blackberry picking, I rather fancy some crumbles & jam put by for the winter.

Anyway I need to return to the barbers for the 2nd time today, the child is far too feral looking for high school & needs a short back & sides. Our first visit was met with a closed for lunch sign.

Enjoy your day

14 comments:

  1. I love the way you grow your sweetcorn in amongst the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch that corn carefully, I let mine go a bit longish and it was starchy to the point we just added it to the rubbish heap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your birthday is autumn and it's your favourite time - mine is in spring (and has been for far longer than I care to think) and spring is my favourite season. Maybe we should do a survey.

    Actually Martyn disproves the theory as his birthday is January!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the autumn too. Well done with the sweetcorn. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I disprove the theory too - my Birthday is in March, but my favourite time of year is early Summer (June).

    I hope your Butternut squash makes it to maturity. That would be a nice Autumn treat for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still clinging on to summer. It looks like you're going to be getting a great autumn harvest. Hope you managed to get the hair cut sorted out, it was school shoes for us today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely crops, especially the sweetcorn in amongst the flowers. I'm sure I planted a butternut squash too, but it's disappeared in the mad overplanted squash/courgette/cucumber bed. We did the barber thing yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sweetcorn and the flowers together, too. I hope you get a good apple crop; I'm a bit anxious about my sweeter apples here now the wasps are suddenly out in force.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the purple and pink flowers growing beside your corn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Jo I'm trying to cling onto summer but I do like autumn. Its so exciting seeing the squashes developing isn't it. I'm hoping to pick my sweetcorn this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too am trying to cling on to the summer! I love your squash! They're a real highlight for me too this year as mine did nothing in our wet grey summer last year. Happy Birthday for whenever it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh never grown corn but always wanted to. Lots to look forward to in Autumn then!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so lucky to be able to grow sweetcorn it really is delicious fresh, unfortunately the badgers always gets ours.Good luck with the barbers second time around

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too love autumn...it marks the time when life slows down a little and I get the chance to stop , breathe and take in the beauty around me....plus catch up with my blogs and try have the chance to get on top of the weeding on the allotment!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.