Sunday, 18 August 2013

Seedy pen pal swap No 2

It is that time of year again for Seedy pen pal. A very enjoyable experience it has proved to be & it is my second time taking part.

Look what I received from one of partners Bev,
The broad beans & peas will be sown this autumn & over wintered in the greenhouse. I'm thinking of doing half a bed of each. The peas will have to covered with some sort of netting as the mangetout I grew last year I left some of the pods to mature for some peas. When I podded them they had been infested with pea moth. I will be prepared next time!

The swiss chard I will sow some direct in the ground possibly this afternoon but I am feeling rather lazy today. I do have some nice looking swiss chard plants ready to harvest now, the seeds were sent to me in my first seedy pen pal swap so these new ones will follow on nicely. I shall also sow a few in a tub for some baby salad leaves.

The PSB, mangetout, & sunflower seeds will be sown early on next year. All three varieties I have grown before, I had already put the Shiraz purple podded mangetout & Wahoo sunflower seeds on my list for next year as I had great success with them this.

I sent my package off to my other partner Sara on Friday morning, I do hope she likes what I have selected for her.

Do have a go for next year I believe the sign up is available now. It really is huge fun.

Right I am popping off now Miss Marple is on the tv. One of my favourite programmes.

Enjoy your day

14 comments:

  1. Strangely the pea moth problem wasn't too bad for us this year with the earliest ones that were transplanted after being grown in pots being the worst affected. The Onward peas so far have had very few grubs in the pods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly it was worse for me as I had a small crop. Netting will be in place for next year.

      Delete
  2. It's always fun to receive seeds like this. Thanks, and you to. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, something I look forward to.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the information about being a seedy penal - I've popped over to the site to sign up for Spring 2014!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, this is my second time & will definitely be doing it a third.

      Delete
  5. Those pea moth grubs just put me off podding any more peas, so I always choose a short variety and grow them under netting. Not that I've been very successful with peas anyway over the last two years, none for us this year, but hopefully next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is always next year. The ones I have are a dwarf variety so fingers crossed.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great idea. I love Marple too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seedy pen pal is huge fun & I adore Miss Marple

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of this, how exciting! You never know what you might end up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes & you may find something new for you.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.