Thursday, 22 August 2013

Sweet peas

Do you like my lovely little posy of sweet peas. They are looking a little tatty now, the ones in the vase that is, there are still a few to pick outside. Or there will be if I keep on top of cutting back the seed pods.

I grow them in the same way each year. I stick a row of poles into the ground, I have 8 poles in a row this year. I plant a sweet pea plant at the bottom of each pole & gradually as they grow I tie them to the pole. That way you get lovely long stems for cutting.

This year I shall be sowing my sweet pea seeds in the autumn, hopefully I shall end up with some earlier pickings next year. Though due to the dire weather we experienced earlier on this year  it may have accounted for their late appearance.

Anyway I ordered my sweet pea seeds & more from Moreveg This supplier is ideal for those of us with smaller plots. Smaller packets of seeds of which a lot of the packets are priced at 50p. They do lots of great offers, & have some unusual seeds too. I got oodles & oodles of seeds & spent about £11. Ideal for those of you with a larger plot too & wish to have a dabble at something new. Also I received a handwritten note when I received my order which is always nice & a speedy delivery too.

The lovely lady Bev who sent me my seeds in the seedy pen pal swap has her won little blog. She has recently started posting again after a long break, do take a look. myadventuresinfoodandgardening

Enjoy your day

15 comments:

  1. Those sweetpeas look as pretty as a picture. Most of my sweetpeas went to seed while I was on holiday, but I've cut the seed pods off and they've produced a few more flowers. I've used More Veg in the past. They give such a personal service with the little handwritten notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I have a few more cuttings for the house to come. More veg have a lovely site to, I'm going to make another order soon.

      Delete
  2. Lovely sweet peas. Sadly mine only lasted about a fortnight despite picking and watering every day, then got covered in greenfly.
    I buy most of my vegetable, and a few flower, seeds from MoreVeg as I only want small quantities. I've always been happy with the choice and service. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no how awful, I only found out about More Veg several weeks back. I will certainly use them again.

      Delete
  3. Your sweetpea posy is beautiful. Sweetpeas are among the only flowers I grow that I bring indoors. I do love them, and because I didn't grow any this year they're now top of my seed list for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew a lovely selection of flowers for cutting this year, they were also bee & butterfly friendly. The border has been swamped with insects this year so I have only cut the sweet peas for the house, & only a few bunches at that.

      Delete
  4. Do you detendril them too. Must admit I just plant them and stand back other than to water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first year I did, I haven't bothered since then & to be honest I can't see any difference.

      Delete
  5. oh I do miss the smell of them. So hoping I can grow next year, the past few years with moving home, having to move again early next year is going to disrupt our home growing plans again. Truly can't wait to set roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it comes soon for you, luckily you never seem to lose the 'growing your own' habit.

      Delete
  6. Sweet Peas are to me very old-fashioned, in the nicest sense of that term. Very "English Cottage Garden". For me, the only disadvantage is that you can't eat them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree with you Mark, although I am quite an old fashioned girl.

      Delete
  7. I've only once grown sweet peas, more from lack of time than anything. There are some lovely varieties around now though, and I'm definitely tempted to try them again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sweet peas, I think they look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh snap! I just posted about mine today. I love that pink! I tried 3 experiments and I too will be sowing (again) in November but just leaving them to do their thing. They popped through in January and were really tough and strong, they flowered in May and were fabulous. They died while I was on holiday though oops, but a sowing in April is still going strong now. I grow them up poles too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.