Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Apple trees to the rescue

When you send a child off to university you never expect to receive a phone call from them after they have been admitted to hospital. Rob woke up yesterday morning with some discomfort & as his stomach became rather more painful as the morning went on ,a flatmate caught a taxi with him to the nearest hospital.

He decided it was time to phone us just to let us know mind, when the word operation was mentioned more than once before they admitted him for observation. 'Just letting you know' he said on the phone, 'I really don't want the pair of you driving all that way & bursting through the hospital doors' he added. After him assuring m he was absolutely fine & visiting would be over by the time we arrived I decided it would be wise to wait for further news. Which was just as well really as my two nephews were staying for the night & my dad & brother were coming round for tea.

Thankfully he was released this morning after several tests & scans they decided no operation was needed, although he is on medication & will need to return in three weeks for a further check up. You may think that my worry was over at this point. Oh no my darling, lovely eldest son had left his I phone in the taxi on his way to the hospital yesterday. I breathed a sigh of relief when he phoned to say he had it back at 3:30 this afternoon, just as his younger brother walked through the door on his return from school. This is where the title of this post comes in.



I blogged a while back about Harry starting high school & how concerned I was about the cookery lessons  & how they don't seem to prepare children properly. They have been every bit as bad as I feared. They have a lesson each week, One week is spent describing what they will be doing the following week. He has been taught to make a hot drink & a rather vile fruit salad swimming in juice. He missed the end of last weeks lesson & after badgering him for a few days to find out what he was supposed to be making, he today told me it was a crumble & he needed to take in a tin of fruit filling & 60p. I quite clearly told him there was rhubarb in the freezer or cooking apples on the trees in the garden. He wasn't bothered by either & after spending a considerable amount of time getting to the bottom of the freezer & not finding any rhubarb I braved the wind & rain outside & picked the above. They have been nicely prepared with sugar & cinnamon & part cooked. He is also rather pleased with his mixture & it is a lot nicer than a tin of fruit filling of which I don't buy anyway.

Enjoy your day

17 comments:

  1. Hope your dear son is soon recovered.
    Tin of fruit filling? Pah! Are they kidding? Home made is far better. Bet that pie'll be tasty :o)
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been if he had remembered to bring it home.

      Delete
  2. A can of fruit filling...ew! So glad you set things straight!

    KK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By all accounts his teacher was rather pleased with what he took in.

      Delete
  3. I hope your boy's ailment isn't anything serious. Hopefully not caused by the "Student diet" too ! Re the school cookery lessons:- I find it hard to believe that they don't teach how to make food from first principles. Using a tin of fruit should be a last resort. They should teach kids about seasonality and using what is good and available, not about buying inappropriate and often expensive stuff from a supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully not, he sounds fine thankfully. We shall see what happens next but it isn't life threatening which is always good. I agree with the seasonality, I do believe a child should be taught how to think.

      Delete
  4. Tin of fruit filling!!! I hope the teacher realises what you have sent is much better, Did your som help make it as if so he could impress him/her with his superior knowledge. Did they use ready made pastry too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know awful isn't it! Yes he did help & he weighed out the remainder of the ingredients to take in. The teacher was rather pleased by all accounts.

      Delete
  5. Goodness, what a worry, it never stops when you're a parent, does it? I hope that Rob's on the mend soon. Why on Earth couldn't that teacher show the class how to prepare a fruit filling instead of buying a tin? They say that schools offer healthier meal alternatives to what kids get at home, no wonder if this is how they teach them to cook and bake. It's just setting the next generation up for exactly the same outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a continuing journey. Yes he is, thankfully. I know, it must be one of the easier things to make surely.

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, your poor son and you of course! I don't think we will ever stop worrying about 'our babies' I hope Rob continues to get better.
    What a sorry state that cookery lesson have become, so sad. Its all 'health and safety' these days, i remember my son coming home from school one day telling us that they were no longer allowed to bake flapjacks due to their sharp corners! please!
    love jooles xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is much better & relieved to be out of hospital. We shall know more in a few weeks but is unlikely to be anything too serious. I thought I had it bad with tinned fruit, the sharp corners just says it all!

      Delete
  7. I hope your son is okay. As for the cookery lesson what a palaver. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thank you, on the road to recovery now. Unfortunately the cookery lessons are as bad as I remembered them to be.

      Delete
  8. hoping your son is soon better and it is a great shame they do not show them in schools how to cook from scratch glad he chose the apples from your garden

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is doing much better thank you. One of the schools we looked at has its own allotment but he chose not to go. It was my old high school in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Lord you have got your hands full. I am so thankfull we survived those years as you shall, I am quite sure. I wonder if a good apple brandy is in order?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.