Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Compost

I have oodles & oodles of dead & decaying material in my garden. The compost bins are full & I am highly reluctant to send any of this off in the brown bin to be recycled elsewhere.

At first I was going to clear a space & pile the stuff on the largest of the veg beds over the winter period. The only minus point to this idea is that we are surrounded by fields. I'm sure the resident field rats would be only too happy with a bit of extra warmth over the cold snap.

Then another thought occurred, I shall be digging a selection of bean trenches instead.


The idea is you dig a large wide hole, line it with newspaper & tip in all your garden waste.You then top it up with the soil that you removed earlier. It will rot down nicely giving you some lovely growing material for next years harvest.

I am planning to do two wide trenches in the largest veg bed. Then next year, I will grow my beans first & then I shall plant my winter brassicas.

The only other thing I need is a dry day this Sunday, the last two Sundays have poured with rain & made me very reluctant to venture out. Anyway I'm pretty sure you shouldn't dig when it is wet & I'm sticking with it. Such is the life of a veg gardener.

P.s I still can't find the cable to add some photographs. Not that you would want to see any of my garden at the moment. It looks like a small allotment that hasn't been touched for a few years.

Enjoy your day.

10 comments:

  1. I was just going to suggest exactly that. Your beans will thank you for creating an underground compost heap, I bet you get a lovely crop next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping too, none to store this year, there were plenty of beans but not enough time.

      Delete
  2. We could do with a bit of helpful weather too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could do with it a lot more than me with such a large growing space.

      Delete
  3. My allotment and garden sound like they ollok like yours..lol. I love your philosphy on digging and it has now become mine too!! I really do need to get some more work done though so everything is ready for winter so I am hoping for some drier weather next week.

    I shall be doing this with my beans...time to get my son to start saving the papers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I'm lucky that I can gardening around the year. Tropical climate is more friendly for me as a home gardener. I like your blog. I invite you to visit my blog.
    Endah
    Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely post we would love to see your garden can't you put your SD card into your computer without your lead ? have a great weekend I just added some leaves to one of my compost bins might use one of my empty ones next time to keep only leaves in

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really good way to use such material. It's been wet here and the plot was well squelchy this morning. You're right about not digging when it's like that.
    Thanks, you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending compostable material off to the tip never seems like a good idea. And some of the commercial compost on sale these days seems very poor. Best to make maximum use of the material yourself. I filled my big new raised bed last Autumn and Winter by using it as a compost bin - gradually filling it up with whatever was available - including a proportion of fallen leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Digging in the wet is not a good idea, it just compacts the soil. As well as being a pretty thankless task!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.