Friday, 18 October 2013

Dahlias

I rather fancy expanding my range of dahlias next year. I only have a few & thought I would dedicate the left over space I have in the fruit bush bed to my plan.

The space is approx 10ft by 5ft & has the fruit bushes at one end & a small row of asparagus at the other. Incidentally the asparagus has done rather well this year, the five free crowns I got last year have sprouted rather successfully, a couple more years to go & I will be able to have a taste.

I digress, being an old fashioned girl ( I was rather excited to turn 40) I like old fashioned flowers so a few more dahlias would be very nice.



I think a nice frothy mixture would look rather lovely & hopefully give me a few pickings for the house. I successfully edges the front of the bed this year with alpine strawberries & trailing lobelia. It looked rather nice so I will sow some more lobelia seeds earlier on next year. Also it should look nice this time next year, apart from the possible use of netting around the beds to put off the chickens once they arrive next year. I'm sure I can overlook such a thing, you cant have everything can you!

Enjoy your day

16 comments:

  1. If you're going to plant some Dahlias, I strongly recommend "Bishop of Llandaff" which has bright red flowers with black stems and foliage. A really dramatic contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for some of the Bishop series for the front garden.

      Delete
  2. They are gorgeous flowers, always remind me of this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must admit I have given up on dahlias - so I'm in a non-dahlia growing cycle again. Wish I was turning 40 again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like them I found some I had forgotten about when I was clearing the patch at the weekend.

      Delete
  4. Dahlias do provide such lovely colour in the autumn. I lost mine last year to slugs, but I do want to replace them with one or two single-flowering types that the bees love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no blinking slugs get to everything don't they.

      Delete
  5. I only have a few, but they're still blooming now. They certainly add a nice splash of colour at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do don't they. I wish I could bring myself to pick them.

      Delete
  6. I usually only grow one or two due to space considerations. They are lovely flowers. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes are lovely, they grow surprisingly big.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful dahlias. I love the last picture, sweet color. Thank you for sharing
    Endah
    Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have grown to love Dahlia's this year too....must be all that growing up I am doing???
    bestest and thank you for following me too!
    daisy j xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They took a while for me to like them, they are a firm favourite now though.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.