Thursday, 24 October 2013

Grotty weather

I'm pretty sure the weather has been even more vile this time of year than it was last October. It has poured with rain every day. This is absolutely fine for topping up the pond & filling the water butts. Except I haven't really got a huge amount of stuff that needs watering at this time. A right miserable old trout I sound don't I!

On a brighter note there was a break in the weather last Sunday. It had rained in the morning & then started to brighten up just before lunch. So after lunch with our tummies still full with roasted duck, potatoes, parsnips, spiced red cabbage & green beans I dragged Mike outside to get a bit done.

The beds are looking a lot clearer. The bean trench digging didn't work very well at all. The ground really was too wet. So most of the stuff has been chopped down & piled up. I must take a photo of it as it really is huge.

Hopefully this weekend I we shall start to empty the old compost from the pots onto the mountain. It should help to keep a bit of warmth in. It will be Mikes job to turn the pile over, hopefully that should put off any rodents who wish to take up residence.

Enjoy your day

13 comments:

  1. We have suffered more drizzly rain than actual downpours but the sun has definitely been reluctant to shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have had your downpours then, although the sun is shining as I type.

      Delete
  2. The weather's been awful, hasn't it? The sun is shining today though. I really need to get all my pots and containers sorted out and then stored safely for winter, I end up losing so many pots because I leave them out in the frost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it certainly has, I'm hoping to get my pots sorted this weekend too.

      Delete
  3. On Tuesday night we had an amazing storm, with very dramatic thunder and lightning. Climate Change / Global Warming has a lot to answer for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does Mark I agree with you there.

      Delete
  4. I've been outside this morning, trying to get the veg beds cleared. Some progress, but our soil is so waterlogged that if I stand on it I just sink 6 inches. And would you believe, it's raining again now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no poor you, we had a lovely break from it today. It has been rather sunny here though the clouds have just returned.

      Delete
  5. It's certainly been damp and dull since the end of last weekend so I've done little plotting.
    You'll be surprised at how quickly that pile will soon start to get smaller. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be checking on it each week to make sure it has. I'm sure with turning it regularly that should help it turn into lovely compost quicker too.

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean about the weather, today is the first day it hasn't rained here in a few weeks, and it's back tomorrow....sighs...xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have been having some very odd warm weather, I even picked a bowl full of ripe raspberries. Very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you managed to get some work done. I really am hoping that the rain eases off for a while so that I can get some much needed tidying done for winter both at home and on the allotment. I guess it will get there in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.