Friday, 27 December 2013

Books

I hope you all had a fabulous Christmas, mine was lovely. I received some wonderful books. In all honesty Mike wouldn't have a clue which books to buy me. I could give him a list & he would buy them, but, it would be at full price where as I prefer a bargain. So I order them.

I got -


This really is a lovely book, right down my street. It has a lovely chatty feel to it, probably more a girlie book but that suits me fine as I live in a male dominated household. It also has some good tips in it.


This book is based on a blog of the same name, I saw it in a magazine & thought then that I would love to have it for Christmas. With having such a small plot I thought it would contain some tips. It doesn't, it is still a nice read though.



I feel the tingle in my bones that 2014 is going to be a good year for me, I have more time & money available to devote to the garden. So I would like to put my harvests to good use. Unlike the men in my life I prefer to eat less meat & this has some lovely recipes in it.



I have all of Nigel Slaters books, I love his style of writing. My very favourite books are Tender volumes I & II, I also love The Kitchen Diaries almost as much.


I have looked at these books on & off for a while. Mike went ahead & bought them as a gift off Harry. They really are very well written books. There were 10 paperback books in a strong cardboard slip case & they really are great. There are I think three more titles to buy, one of them is on Curing & Smoking which will be released in February 2014. I shall be pre ordering as well as buying the remaining two.

I love books, I have bookcases full of the things, it drives Mike mad but I couldn't give two hoots. Someone bought me a kindle & it is still empty. If it smelt like a book I might use it but it doesn't so I wont.

Enjoy your day

12 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm not the archetypical male, but I love books too - especially food books, cookery books and gardening books. We have most of the Nigel Slater ones too. Not very impressed with the format of "Eat", but the writing is as good as ever. Also have some of the River Cottage handbooks and most of HF-W's books. My favourite Yorkshire Pudding recipe comes from his "Meat" book. My MIL bought me some gardening books for Xmas, including one called "Dream Gardens of England", but it is about the HUGE stately home type gardens, not like anything I could ever aspire to. Enjoy your reading - the weather won't tempt you to go outside just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The format of Eat is different to the others you are correct, I still like it though I think you would have to know how to cook to use it. I think I have all of the River Cottage books now, I shall root the Yorkshire pudding recipe mine have become awful of late, time for a change. It is lovely planning weather at the moment isn't it

      Delete
  2. I love books too, I got the River Cottage Handbook collection for Christmas last year. It looks like you've got a varied selection to go at there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will keep me going for a while, I am far more impressed with the River Cottage ones than I thought I would be.

      Delete
  3. I'm a lifelong book buff so enjoyed reading this post, and your comment about smelling like a book made me smile.
    I have to say that although I'm an avid reader I don't keep a lot of books, although my gardening collection continues to grow. Happy reading, Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately for Mike I am loath to get rid of any, I might however cull my paper backs.

      Delete
  4. You are in for a real readathon. I was disappointed with HFW's vegetable programme - is the book better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably the one I have looked at the least. It looks very good for a beginner & there are some nice recipes at the back. I was more interested in the hedgerow & seaside foraging ones.

      Delete
  5. I bought 'Eat' this year and have made several of the dishes in it. HFW's book looks good too. My Mike is a meat man too, but I am planning a veggie takeover by stealth next year. I need to find some very tasty recipes to achieve this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made any yet though I have some planned. Mushroom stroganoff & mixed bean chilli goes down well with mine.

      Delete
  6. This post is bliss for me, in general I'm trying to buy fewer books but did also get a pile for Christmas, including eat, looking forward to a cosy January reading them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to buy less books but it is very hard not to & January is the ideal time to read a new stash of books.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.