Friday, 20 December 2013

Edible hedging?

Apart from a big tidy up the back garden will be pretty much sorted next year. When I say tidy up I really mean the paths around the vegetable garden need to be finished, one will be slightly extended & more slate chippings will be added. The one at the back will have the bark topped up one the raspberry canes started growing.

The raspberry canes will be one of the first jobs of 2014. I will cut them right back. Apart from the small growing space being the main reason for Autumn fruiting raspberries the ease of which you can look after them was another factor.

No tying them in & sorting old canes from new canes, getting yourself covered in scratches as you would with summer fruiting ones. No the autumn fruiting ones you cut down to the ground in January & they start growing again on the spring. Fabulous!

I want to turn the front garden into a more useful space next year. Not veggie orientated but fruity bits for me & the wildlife & some wildlife friendly flowers.

I'm thinking of an elder or two to go with the crab apple tree, a couple of wild ( as small as I can get) roses for rose hips, another holly, honeysuckle & a couple of hazels.

I can then add some bulbs & things at the bottom along with some wild garlic. That's the plan anyway.

As I said to Mike I couldn't give two hoots what it looks like from the lane, we live at the end of it & there is a similar looking creation not too far away which I have always been rather jealous of.

Also I think it would be lovely to take myself off for a lazy ramble at the end of the working day, old trousers, jacket hat & basket the lot.

Enjoy your day

16 comments:

  1. It's nice to build "castles in the air"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to have gardening plans. I like the idea of a lazy ramble.
    Thanks, and you too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's making these plans and moving forward from the previous growing season that keeps us gardeners inspires through these cold, miserable days of Winter isn't it.

    The thought of things to come ...... wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, my gardening year starts on Christmas Eve with a couple of gardening mags to read through.

      Delete
  4. Sounds great You could go for cobnuts so you could have any edible nuts that the wildlife leave for yourself. Just an alternative to hazel. Will you go for native elder or black elder. Sambucus nigra Black Lace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could, I have a few varieties to read through. I'm not sure about the Elder, I think I would like one of each if I have the space.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with all your gardening plans for next year. I love the sound of your new wildlife friendly plants. I'm going to increase my wildlife-friendly flowers and plants here next year, too, so I'm moving lots of things around at the moment.
    I like the sound of a lazy ramble, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I would like to fit in as many as possible. Good luck with your garden.

      Delete
  6. The plans for your front garden sound wonderful. I think it's a great idea to live in harmony with the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, I do try really hard & I think it will suit the slightly lazy gardener that I am.

      Delete
  7. An edible hedgerow sounds like my kind of hedge! Lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think it will have to curve round the garden slightly so I can it all in.

      Delete
  8. Edible hedgerows are a great way of getting ore produce out of your garden!! I always cut my autumn canes down at the end of autumn!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my country, especially on the villages, we use to grow so many perenial vegetables or fruit plants as hedges. I think it's really interesting and useful. We get so many benefits from them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.