Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Legumes 2014

Thank you for your comments yesterday, you are all very sweet & kind people & it was very touching & quite needed. A boost if you like for the days to come.

I am now planning next years vegetables & judging  by the large amount of seeds in my two containers I am not going to get away with ordering veg plants.

I am a terrible old scrooge at heart, with myself mind, I love buying things for other people though I do like to get a bargain & never pay full price if I can help it. Mike calls me tight fisted & is not impressed by the fact I have told him to wait until after Christmas (which he wont) to buy the shoes that I like because they may be a touch cheaper. I also love getting books for Christmas, (much, much reduced from the fourteen last year, it surprised me as much as Mike the amount I opened) the three I have chosen this year from Mike I ordered myself I always do as he would pay full price where as I google & saved a wad of cash.

Anyway I have been perusing the bean seeds for next year & I am not sure if they have risen dramatically in price or I lost my mind in the previous years as they all seem so expensive. Perhaps they only seem so expensive as I only want about 5 or 6 of each. A small plot you see.

The plan I have for next year consists of Runner beans - St George or which I have in stock, Purple podded mange toute - in stock. I may grow some peas too, I dislike peas greatly but Mike rather likes them, these would be more of a nibble for him in the garden than using in the kitchen. I certainly haven't & wouldn't have the space to grow them en mass. Broad beans because I love them & have the seeds in my tubs.

Here comes my predicament I want to grow three varieties of French beans, to save space I am thinking of the climbing variety. When I say variety really I mean colour, I want a mix of purple, yellow & green. I know they pretty much turn green when cooked but I want the garden to look pretty you see.

The tight fisted part of me refuses to allow me to buy climbing green beans as I have dwarf ones - Speedy in stock (I sound like a shop) so they will be used & grown in tubs rather than the main patch.

So I need to buy two packets of seeds yellow & purple but I will need to spend approx £6 which I am not too happy about, if I had an allotment I think I would be happier about the cost but really at the moment it is about 60p per seed.

This is probably the reason why Mike buys most things as he hates my cry of "How much?" when we are out shopping. I am however more than happy to skip around at Christmas & buy everyone's presents, at a suitable price of course.

Enjoy your day

13 comments:

  1. I understand your predicament totally, I scour around to save money on the littlest of things sometimes and then have a mini splurge on something different, I guess it's a girl thing.

    I say you should buy the seeds, treat them as a present to yourself and then grow them all and fill the back of garden borders with pretty climbing bean plants. The more you grow the more you can dry and use through the Winter.

    I think I would see a Bean Challenge coming on :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it must be a girl thing, the beans need to be bought so I will just have to go for it. At least the remainder will keep well, I haven't had a problem in the past with growing old beans. A bean challenge sounds great fun.

      Delete
  2. I'm growing St George runner beans again next year. Growing small quantities is always a problem even when buying from MoreVeg. Next year you'll have to look out for the seed sales, or see if anyone is prepared to share or swap seeds with you.
    Happy reading! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew them a couple of years back & they really are lovely beans, I'm looking forward to eating them 2014. I will bite the bullet & order from More veg, they had the varieties I wanted & I would prefer to use a smaller company.

      Delete
  3. The yellow beans will stay yellow after cooking. Even with a large plot we share seeds with a friend as many packs have hundreds of seeds in. Can you do something similar. Also think of it as saving money next year when you have seeds 'in stock'

    The good thing about a mix of colours of beans means that the flowers are different colours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would quite happily pass some to my sister but I don't think she would be to enthusiastic unless they were green. I shall be having a proper peruse & place an order later on next week, I'm going to get it over & done with.

      Delete
  4. I went through my seed box last week and was amazed by what I still do have 'in stock'. But it is nice to try out one or two new varieties each year. Good luck with your beans.
    The situation with your father sounds very challenging. I remember my mother always complaining about how difficult her own mother was. She seems to have forgotten all about that now she has reached the same age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For such a small plot my seed collection is embarrassingly huge. Yes it is lovely to try new things & I have a few items on my list for next year. I have promised my children faithfully I will not turn out to be like their granddad.

      Delete
  5. How much? I'd be thinking the same as you at that price. You really should follow my lead and buy in the sales. People think I'm super organised knowing what I want to grow next year at the end of August/beginning of September, but it isn't that, it's just that I don't want to have to pay full price. I wish I had some I could send you, I don't think I have any yellow or purple climbers left, but I'll check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did buy in the sales last year, loads & loads of packets. Unfortunately no one was doing the same this year. That's a lovely thought about you sending me some. After looking at the Moreveg site again they are about £1.50 a pack which is more respectable, my order will be placed next week,

      Delete
  6. I love your gardening posts...because there are no people involved...I was just reading about your parents etc.
    I love that you are moving on from those problems too as you have a lovely life to live with your lovely family...life is far too short to let negative people in no matter who they are!! well done....now back to the garden..
    bestest to you daisy j xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you that is so sweet, indeed everyone has to move away from things at times.

      Delete
  7. Seeds are terribly expensive and often you end up with a huge amount that you don't want. I was really happy last year when our association started stocking seeds and you could purchase them on the plot at fantastic prices and only the amount that you want. It turned out to be a huge success and is being carried on this coming year, I'm not sure off the top of my head what stock we have but I can check if they have any you are after and could always pick you some up...it would end up being pennies you were spending as opposed to pounds!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.