Monday, 30 December 2013

Making a start

Today was surprisingly sunny and bright. It was nice enough to tempt Mike into the garden so we made a start on making the veg plot more respectful.

The compost heap which had spread itself over two raised beds has been turned & is in a nice neat pile. It has been topped with weeds & old plant matter, we also poured out the remains of some of the pots.

The soil was lightly dug over in the hope of giving the birds a feast. I do hope we exposed plenty of overwintering gooseberry sawfly larvae. The currants & gooseberries were infested with them last year. As well has forking the soil over weekly for the next few months I hall be investing in some of that Nemys stuff to spray over the bushes when the time is right.

I had hoped to make a start on the front garden tomorrow, however the weather doesn't look to promising though it does give a clearer out look for the afternoon. We shall see. I need to get the front cleared ready for my edible hedge. I have seen the one I want, a little too many plants but after looking at other sites it is the best value & gives me all of the varieties I was after. The lovely Mike is buying it as a valentines present, not that we tend to celebrate such things but as he wants a new fishing reel it seems a good idea for 2014.

Enjoy your day


10 comments:

  1. Maybe you'll have to guerilla garden the left-over plants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some might accidentally be planted in the field at the back of the house.

      Delete
  2. You have hardwork for your garden. I'm really interested to see your edible hedge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of hard work Endah yes, I'm hoping for it to be delivered on the 27th Jan.

      Delete
  3. There's been some nice days over the festive period to get bits done in the garden. Hubby has spent a couple of days at the allotment tidying up. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your edible hedge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jo I cant wait for it to arrive, I am so excited.

      Delete
  4. It's good to be able to do something like that at this time of year. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather nice to spend time in the garden.

      Delete
  5. Don't tell your local neighbourhood deer about the edible hedge...
    I have had good results with the Nemasys "Grow Your Own" multi-purpose bug-killer nematodes, so I hope you get similar success with the one that kills Gooseberry Sawflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We aren't affected by deer or rabbits thankfully. Yes Nemasys that's the stuff I'm also getting some of the stuff they do for slugs.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.