Wednesday, 18 December 2013

New things



I was perusing the Moreveg site yesterday & added both the yellow & purple French beans to my basket. I also had a good look through the site & like a kid in a sweet shop I was eagerly adding more & more to my bag. By the end of it my basket total was approx £17.50, I haven't looked at the flower seeds yet so the amount may - sorry scratch that - will be a touch higher.

As well as the beans I also added some green sprouting broccoli & some white sprouting broccoli, a selection of lettuces, lots of different herbs & for something completely new - Seakale.
seakale
Allegedly it is supposed to have a nutty taste & although it grows wild by the seaside it is a protected species so no picking allowed.

You blanch it before eating so I might buy a terracotta forcer as I have seen them for around £20-£30 at a local garden centre, to me that seems a reasonable price. I could use an old bucket but if I'm going to the trouble of having coloured beans in the garden in for a penny in for a pound they say.

Anyway from what I have found out so far that a couple of spades of grit at planting time & pruning down to the ground in the autumn it seems pretty easy to care for.

Enjoy your day

11 comments:

  1. Look forward to hearing more about the seakale

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the problem, once you start looking at seed sites, you can't stop yourself. I've never tried seakale, you'll have to let us know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, to be fair to myself there are a lot of herbs amongst the items I added. Both for me and the wildlife.

      Delete
  3. It sure looks like you're going to have a busy, and interesting, season next year. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, I have promised myself more time for the garden.

      Delete
  4. Did you order seeds for the Seakale, or "thongs" (!)? I imagine that growing it to a croppable stage from seed might be a fairly long job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm placing the order next week, Friday to be exact. This order contains seeds for the seakale though I'm sure I could find some thongs & do both.

      Delete
  5. I love this time of year, all those seed catalogs starting to come in the mail. I am looking for a new variety of onion (at least for us) called Cipollini. They are rather flat and grow under the soil instead of just at the surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is lovely, I rather enjoy Christmas eve knowing every thing has been done for Christmas & I can start planning for the following year. Good luck with your search.

      Delete
  6. Sounds interesting....I look forward to hearing about how you get on with it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.