Tuesday, 31 December 2013

New year, new start.

I don't do resolutions as such. I tend to forget what I had hoped to change. However for some reason 2014 seems a better prospect for me so whilst we have no resolutions Mike & I have made some promises to ensure we have a better year than last.

I do love the idea of a date night, however we still have a 12 year old at home & he would be horrified at thought of having  a baby sitter. We are getting around this by having  a date lunch as often as we can. Monday tends to be the best time for this as Harry is in school, so if Mike happens to be nights which happens from time to time & Sunday & Mondays are my days off work.

Garden shows - We are going to the Tatton Park & the Southport garden shows 2014 & I am very much looking forward to them.

Mike has promised me my chickens next year so that will be happening & I have promised myself lots more time in the garden, Mike has promised himself much more fishing so that will be a nice balance.

Mike spent some time in the garden today mainly emptying the greenhouse. I had spotted the bird seed on the greenhouse floor yesterday  morning. After Mike had emptied the pots on the compost heap he moved one of the bird seed bags. The blinking thing was full of field mice. Well they have now been deposited outside & will have to disperse elsewhere. An orgy of sorts must have been going on for ages as Mike said there were loads of the little blighters & there were lots of tiny new born mice. I did feel a little sad but not too much.

While Mike was out in the garden the postman brought me a couple of seed catalogues. I spent a few hours daydreaming as I waited for Miss Marple to start.

All the best for 2014 & as always enjoy your day.

16 comments:

  1. Yikes, that's a lot of mice! They must have thought they were in paradise, finding a bag of seed to live in. I'm really envying you your chickens and the garden shows. I shall be trying harder with the garden and allotment next year. And I shall be following your blog, I've so enjoyed reading it. I hope you have a really happy 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were in paradise for a while. Thank you that's very sweet, I hope you have a fab new year too.

      Delete
  2. It looks like there'll be plenty to keep you happily busy next year.
    Thanks, and to you too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar problem with mice this time last year. We had a sack of bird-seed in the garage, which was plundered, but even worse, the mice had eaten their way into some of the wrapped Christmas presents we had stored in the garage for want of space indoors! They ate their way through cardboard, paper and all. One of the damaged items was a book, and the mice had actually eaten bits of the cover and spine. Presumably the glue tasted nice...?
    Wishing you the best of fortune in 2014, and hoping that plans for hedges, chickens, garden shows etc all work out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mark that's awful about the presents. Pesky little things, I will be investing in a couple of those steel bins. Thank you I'm going to make sure it does turn out well.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Funnily enough a huge ginger one appeared afterwards. he ate most of what he could see & came back for more.

      Delete
  5. WE keep our bird seed in a dustbin for this reason but mice do nibble stored veg such as onions and potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep on looking at the steel bins in the local hardware store, I shall have to buy some when I next buy seed.

      Delete
  6. I'm really looking forward to hearing all about your chickens, I'd love some of my own but it really isn't the right time at the moment so I'll enjoy reading all about yours instead. We've only just started having a date night this past year, we never had babysitters as the kids were growing up so we either went out as a family or stayed home. It's been nice having a bit of time to ourselves again, but I have to admit that my favourite thing is having my family around me. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been busy looking at chicken houses but to be honest I could do with visiting somewhere where thy have them ready built. I think that's why I prefer lunch as I never like or liked leaving mine with anyone else.

      Delete
  7. Wretched mice!
    I am hopeless at resolutions too. Even when I restrict them to things I enjoy, they still fall by the wayside. There are just not enough hours in the day.
    I hope that 2014 is a much happier year for you. Like Jo I'm really looking forward to hearing about the chickens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blinking things were everywhere in the garden afterwards, how ever a huge ginger cat must have heard there was a banquet on the menu as one turned up and scoffed them all.

      Delete
  8. I guess you will spent a long time with your catalogues, and prepare your garden for next spring. If you have chicken, so you have your own 'fertilizer machine'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be spending lots of time with my seed catalogues, I find it a very enjoyable past time.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.