Friday, 6 December 2013

Over for now

Well the flood never reached the area where I live, thankfully. The river however did breach its banks & there have been some awful photographs.

The river is fairly close to where I live & from what I remember of childhood walks only about 10 minutes away on foot. I live in the same area that I grew up in you see so remember quite well.

Anyway thankfully I live at the end of the lane away from the main road, which is then separated by fields a small industrial estate & a large river bank. I have seen photographs of the fields the opposite side of the river which are completely submerged. However I don't believe any houses or businesses in the local area to be affected which is good news.

Further up the coast didn't fair too well at all & have been affected very badly.

The gales caused the most damage here. Not structurally for which I am always grateful for. However the winds were strong enough to pick up pots from the garden. These pots were filled with wet compost so would have had a fair bit of weight to them Naturally the garden furniture followed them.

Thankfully we came through it unscathed & thank you for your comments too.

Anyone else struggling with blogging about their garden at this time of year. Apart from a few parsnips in the ground & a loose compost heap to re assemble my garden is looking a little bleak.

Take care xx

10 comments:

  1. Glad that you came through relatively unscathed.

    Thinking of garden blogging subjects at this time of year can be challenging - I tend to write about plans for next year when all else fails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see that you're okay and didn't suffer too much damage.
    Yes garden/plot blogging does become harder at this time of year. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a few days and nights of high wind my garden resembles the aftermath of a tropical storm, My peach tree has suffered extensive damage so I feel that it will be replaced and my Victoria Plum came down and took most of the Damson with it. So I will be looking for new sites for 3 trees and the trees to go in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the storm wasn't too bad for you. During the "closed season" for gardening I write about food and cooking, which is another favourite subject of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking of you, looking at those pictures. Glad all's well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear that you are safe, must have been quite scary.
    wishing you a clam and a happy weekend.
    love jooles xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you kept safe.
    My veg plot is covered with oak leaves and other wind-blown bits and pieces - so this weekend will be all about tidying up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you didn't suffer too much damage, some of the pictures I've seen on the news have been awful, I really feel for the poor people who have been affected. My allotment sounds the same as your garden, only parsnips left to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you didn't get any flooding...Did your son manage not to blow away on his way to school?? I tend to put recipes on my blog this time of year...and waffle a lot not about anything in particular....very little about gardening, but hey ho, I figure it's my blog so it's up to me what I write!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you didn't get flooding or any severe damage. The gales brought some trees down near me and knocked over outdoor town Christmas trees so not too bad in Northern Ireland.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.