Thursday, 5 December 2013

Sand bags at the ready

Goodness I do hope everyone is safe out there today & tomorrow. We had a bit of a Peter Kay moment last night. The phone rang & the three of us looked at each other & said "Who is that". The phone call was ignored but when the same number tried again a few minutes later we answered it.

We are, so the flood agency stated, at risk from flooding today due to a tidal surge. I sort of forgot about it when I woke up this morning, the sound & speed of the wind concerned me far more. Especially when I saw the majority of my loose compost heap fly past the kitchen window this morning. I soon remembered after I peered out of the sitting room window & looked at the cottage across the road. It is heavily guarded by numerous sand bags!!

Anyway "you pays your money & take your chances" so the saying goes. I have far  more pressing concerns, the lovely Mike is a lorry driver & I would far sooner have him home safe & deal with a flooded house than the alternative. I always worry when we have gales when he is out driving.

I went on a quick visit to my mums this morning. I had offered to walk Harry to the bus stop & wait with him in the wind. This was met with gasps of horror from my 12 year old, the poor boy ran when I left the house with him. I'm not sure if it was the gust of wind that nearly took me off my feet  or the sigh of relief from the boy when we took different directions. I am rather glad he had a heavy pe bag in his ruck sack this morning.

Anyway I am under my crocheted blanket (made by me) & sat by a twinkly Christmas tree drinking coffee with a splash of advocaat. Mike has phoned (the time is nearly here of the surge) to tell me not to try & save the Christmas trees if the flood does rush down the lane. I must admit I had made plans to do so.

19 comments:

  1. I hope that you don't suffer any damage. Take care, Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We escaped any major damage & thanks x

      Delete
  2. Hope you are, and will remain, safe. We have strong winds here, but not as dramatic as in the North of the country - and we are fortunately a long way from the sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were it by the gales but escaped the flooding, though further away were not so lucky x

      Delete
  3. Look after yourself and the ones you love,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I hope you are safe and without water around your ankles. Thinking of you and waiting for an update...lol on your sons reaction, I kind of get the same from mine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safe now thanks, I expect it is a fairly typical response from most kids x

      Delete
  5. Thinking of you, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope everything's ok. It must be a worry when Mike's out in the lorry on windy days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you didn't need to consider the Christmas tree and that Mike remained safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was thinking of everyone who had to be out on the roads, such a worry. Glad to hear that everyone is safe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.