Thursday, 23 January 2014

A few changes

I have been perusing at my past blog posts. Looking back at photos of the garden & what is going to change this year.
The little greenhouse has been removed & shipped off to my sisters. The space will be used for my chickens, I have decided against a walk in run & will stick to the run that comes with the Eglu go or classic depending on which one I get. I can fit a couple of fruit trees around it you see which means I can have a mulberry. I have read good things about them being grown in large enough pots. If I go across the narrow flower border I can also order a run extension kit. I still haven't decided between two or three chickens. I don't like eggs Harry dislikes them greatly, Mike adores them & I have to factor in Rob when he is home from uni. I know he will be expecting eggs for breakfast every day. I do like baking though so I will need lots of eggs for that.
I will be painting the trellis & fences, when Mike is away naturally as I want to use Cuprinol garden Shades a nice one you see. I will also be using it on his shed. Once that is completed we have some left over Sandtex paint which I can splosh onto the wall. Then I can plant a couple of yellow raspberry canes, I have one there already but it really needs some company. 
As well as making an effort to have some flowers for the house you can just see through my sitting room window. The wildlife hedge will be planted next week, very very excited about this as it will mean some lazy foraging in the future. 

Apart from the paths being topped up with slate chippings & bark where appropriate I think that is about it for my main garden plans this year. Well apart from a new garden table, old really as it is from a reclamation yard, I'm sure Mike will be more than happy to go to one of them.

Enjoy your day

14 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful. I'm so excited for you about your chickens. Me and the biggest boy are hatching a plan here. Last night we were looking at sad little battery hens online and trying to work out how we could fit some in. I'm sure you'd find someone who was happy to have any excess eggs if you have three chickens. That way if anything happens to one (heaven forbid) you'll still have two. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the eglu. I love mulberries. I have the tiniest one in a pot - I've been inspired by seeing some locally, they really are the most stunning trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there would be plenty of people after the excess eggs, I forgot about that. It will have to be three then as Mike would want to take some down to his brothers. I'm glad you have a Mulberry in a pot at least I'm not the only one. Some of the trunks on the trees in the ground are huge!

      Delete
  2. I'd definitely go for three because for many reasons you won't always have three laying hens (moulting, broodiness, don't feel like laying)... and as CJ says, giving away eggs always goes down really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am more inclined for three hens so I will have to buy the extension kit. I know Mike will be more than happy to give eggs away.

      Delete
  3. Does Mike know that you intend to paint his shed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sue he doesn't, but as it is in the seating area it needs to look the part. Also unknown to him is the bunting I'm going make to decorate the outside in the summer.

      Delete
  4. It seems like you've plenty to look forward to, and keep you busy. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Changes are fun. I think you should go for three hens as one will always be slow in production. We have always done three or more but have a large walk in chicken house. I do miss my hens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thin it will have to three Doc. I'm glad I mentioned it in a post.

      Delete
  6. Re shed-painting: why not paint it in chilli red - that would please Mike! I suppose you'll actually go for a girly pink or lilac though.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it wasn't in a prominent position Mark I would certainly consider it. I'm not a pink or lilac kind of girl more a nice green or blue I was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute green house. You make me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the fact that you are going to get the painting done whilst Mike is away...I can imagine his face upon returning home..lol. Seems like some nice laid back plans for the year and hopefully we will have some wonderful weather so that you can enjoy everything you do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.