Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Big garden birdwatch

I know I'm late but I have just registered for this years Garden Bird Watch which is run by the RSPB.
Register here.


I have seen it mentioned on other blogs & have taken part in the past. We are pretty lucky where we live as we are surrounded by fields & hedges so get a wide variety of birds.

One which I am hoping will make a presence is the Heron, the hedges that surround the fields have ditches to the side of them. So the heron can be spotted there feeding often. They are a particularity graceful bird when taking off though I have never seen it land yet.

We get the usual mixture of birds, sparows, dunnocks, blackbirds, thrushes, goldfinch, robins,greenfinch, bullfinch, starlings, collard doves & blue & greatr tits. On the odd occasion we do have a wren. Every so often we have a sparrow hawk I must root out the photographs as it was a regular visitor a year or so back.

We have feeders up in the garden but now we stick to fat balls, sunflower hearts & peanuts. It wasn't the mess that bothered me so much but the seed that sprouted around the bird table. The birds like what we put out & that is what is important. I also make a point of feeding the birds throughout the year not just in winter & spring, though we do supplement the seeds with some mealworms during the breeding season.

We also have a couple of next boxes in the garden, which sadly have never been occupied. There is always time & this year we might be lucky.

Any way do take a look at the website, there is a £5 discount off a purchase at the RSPB online shop if you register. The site is also full of useful tips & a birdsong guide. There are also a few makes on there, I looked at the home made jelly worms with a mixture of interest & revulsion.

Enjoy your day

22 comments:

  1. I've registered but definitely hope we don't get a heron! One has visited in the past attracted to our pond which we have had to put strings across to protect the fish. I've noticed that the regular birds are already lying low in anticipation of the count - as they usually do. I think more people must start to put food out and the birds decide to take advantage of the unexpected bounty as they know food will always be available in ur garden. I don;t suppose the rdepolls, siskins or black cap will make an appearance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will bother with my tiny pond. The birds seem to le low here when we put up new feeders, I think i will put off adding them till Monday.

      Delete
  2. We're going to be doing the count as well, although we don't have many birds visiting our garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I am in a good location so fingers crossed we will see a few. I would love some new visitors though.

      Delete
  3. I registered yesterday, and had exactly the same reaction as you to the jelly worms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are horrid aren't they, I cannot get them out of my mind & I am sure if the boys were younger we would be making up batches of them.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birdwatch! I very occasionally see a heron from the allotments as it uses the pond on the adjacent ecology park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post I am also doing the big garden bird watch and if any one wants to use my live stream they are more than welcome as it is live 24/7 http://www.worldwildwebcams.com/WWLINPEN.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. We put a feeder up a couple of weeks ago at the plot and the birds have just found it. Good luck with the birdwatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It great having a bird feeder up, I enjoy watching the birds that come to feed.

      Delete
  7. Great idea! Hope you have lots of feathery visitors.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, it will give me chance to survey the garden also.

      Delete
  8. Hope you see lots of birds. It will be interesting to see, when all the results are in, which birds are doing well and which aren't.
    I agree re: jelly worms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a nest box in the garden which hasn't ever been used too, I'm going to move it and see if that makes a difference, in fact, that's a job I really need to get done now ready for when the birdies are house hunting. I've registered for the Big Garden Birdwatch too, I shall put some extra treats out to see if I can tempt lots of birds in to the garden as we've been a bit low on numbers just lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really got anywhere else to move mine unfortunately. I shall see how it goes this year. I also have some old apples on the ground for the blackbird & thrushes.

      Delete
  10. Love your feeding station, I just have the six of ours scattered through the gardens. We get herons almost every day here because of the Koi pond, fortunately the pond design prevents them getting any of my fish. But I love watching them try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you out me to shame having six feeders. Your garden is much bigger than mine.

      Delete
  11. I registered a couple of weeks ago and am looking forward to an hour of peace and quiet on the day!
    I'm in the process of changing my birdfeeders from the ceramic cover type, which soak up water like a sponge :o( to a better type that keeps the food dry I found at Pets at home.
    I hope the heron continues to ignore your pond.....
    Rose H
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always mean to do the bird watch but never get around to registering. With the weather having been quite mild of late I haven't had too many visitors to the garden, so much so that i think I am going to have to empty out and refill the feeders!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.