Friday, 31 January 2014

Gardening books galore

I was sat on tenterhooks yesterday morning waiting for the delivery of my books. I made the decision to work from home so I could take delivery & made myself a little nest by the sitting room window with the laptop on my knee. Every car door I heard saw me springing up & looking through the window & it stayed like that until the delivery man knocked on the door. I sprang up like an excited rabbit & skipped to the door.

I was beyond pleased when I opened my box, all of the books are fabulous & I highly recommend them. They are all paperbacks & fairly thin so easy to put away in a bookcase, or in my case to store on my bedside table for the next few weeks.



The ten minute diaries are broken down into the months of the year with a list of jobs to do. From what I have read the are full of useful information. I am so pleased with them & am busy making plans for the months ahead.

The self sufficiency ones are just fabulous. I am particularly enthralled with the cheese making one, I just can't seem to put it down. I was ever so slightly disappointed with the home brewing one at first. I had hoped it would contain some wine recipes but it only had ale & the like. However with my new found desire to turn a negative into a positive - Mike likes a pint of bitter & I do like a Beef & Ale stew so I will be having a dabble at some point.

Even though it is a selection of Self sufficiency titles they are really useful & informative. I am so, so pleased with all of my new books. Not bad for £9 for the 15. The Book People

Enjoy your day

25 comments:

  1. So you continued your "working from home" after the books arrived, did you???
    Glad you are pleased with the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had ahem one eye on the laptop screen & the other for my book purchases. When I logged off dinner was pasta & pesto then I was back to my books.

      Delete
  2. Sound great, Jo. Look forward to you making cheese. I remember doing that and making butter at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you really I am so jealous, I remember making a swiss roll & chocolate mousse. The Home EC teacher was off for the rest of the year (she didn't try any of mine). Mike isn't looking forward to me making cheese but I am, I've always fancied it.

      Delete
    2. The butter was when I was a teacher and took my class to a living museum where we spent the day in the Stuart period. The children christened me Mistress Henrietta after the kings wife. We spent the day cooking lunch on a spit and making butter/bread/pomanders etc We also did lace making, making gods' eyes, illuminated writing and music and dancing from that period so the butter making was just a tiny part. Great fun.

      Delete
  3. Glad that they are as good - or better! - than you hoped. You will be busy keeping up with all the jobs the diaries suggest through the year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are just wonderful, I am so pleased I ordered them. The diaries will certainly keep me busy.

      Delete
  4. The books all look terrific. I would read the beekeeping and the foraging books at once - and then quickly go on to the others. I've always fancied trying cheesemaking, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good. There is a little patch at the back of my neighbours garage which only I can access, I may offer to buy it as I could keep a few bees then. That is a couple of years down the line though.

      Delete
  5. The three Val Bourne books are excellent, and I'm sure that you'll be constantly referring to them.
    Happy reading. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked at them before online & dismissed them. Which was a shame as they are really good, lots of plans for Feb already.

      Delete
  6. Awesome books Jo I am soundly enjoying my new book I won on Joanne's blog so much finding it hard to blog about my seed parcel from Germany done a photo so far for facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great books, I need to compose my seedy parcel swap too.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I know, I have seen kits for sale but this book is so good.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic books, and what a great bargain they were. I shall look forward to seeing what inspiration you gather from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A brilliant price, I would have quite happily paid more for them, they are very good.

      Delete
  9. Looks so interesting. I should be read that books. I love to learn everything, especially on gardening topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very informative. They are giving me lots of ideas to plan my garden.

      Delete
  10. I love the look of these, I have a few of the River Cottage ones which are similar in topic. Lovely covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all of the River Cottage ones too, I really enjoy books like that.

      Delete
  11. Glad that you're happy with them. There's so many interesting looking books out there, it's hard to know when to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a good buy, I know what you mean about it being hard to stop. I need to set myself a limit. There are quite a few out there that I would like. I have sopped buying gardening magazines so at least that's something.

      Delete
  12. Glad your book arrived safely and on time....I really have a love/hate thing with waiting for deliveries!!

    Hope you get much pleasure out of reading them!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll be doing a very similar post in the next couple of days, mine have arrived too.

    Mine got here at 7.30pm on Saturday night ... we have very strange delivery times here on our Welsh hillside :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.