Sunday, 26 January 2014

New baby leaves

I wasn't planning on growing any of the mixed salad seeds for baby leaves this year. I had planned to concentrate on a selection of lettuces instead. Of course you can use the lettuce seeds for baby leaf production just as you can whip off a couple of leaves from the actual lettuce plants instead of pulling up the whole plant.

Mike, I & the eldest boy Rob eat a lot of salad. the youngest occasionally allows a piece of lettuce on a sandwich. As Rob is  away in university my lettuce selection this year was based on smaller varieties.

Anyway whilst perusing the Moreveg site last week prior to my order I came across this -

Baby Leaf Magentaspreen, vegatable seeds
Baby leaf Magantaspreen. It is in fact the baby leaf of the tree spinach. Possibly a little too big for my small garden (at full size) but when I read about the uses for the baby leaves I just had to have some.

You can use the leaves in a salad, wilt them in butter, add to a stir fry or steam & add lemon & olive oil.

I thought the above sounded lovely for summer meals in the garden. The next line tickled me greatly & yes I am going to try it - The magenta colour rubs off and was once used as an alternative to lipstick. Mike would be thrilled to keep me away from the Clinique counter. Though I am not a magenta girl!

Enjoy your day



17 comments:

  1. Beautiful plants. I have never seen before. So cute. In my little garden, I have 'herbs and pepper project' right now :-)
    I try to plant and grow so many varieties of peppers also imported herbs that unusual here, but of course really familiar for you. I hope some day I can find your 'magenta veggie' here for new 'leafy project'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting Endah a pepper project.

      Delete
  2. New to me, I'll be interested to see how you get on with them. It's definitely the time for planning (and dreaming) now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dream all winter. I have anyway. It's good to be putting plans into action now though.

      Delete
  3. Sounds good. I look forward to hearing about how well it grows for you and what you think to the taste!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be posting about it, I am looking forward to trying it.

      Delete
  4. I just grow a few mixed lettuces during the summer. Interesting! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly bought a packet of mixed lettuce seeds. When I saw the Flashy Troutback lettuce I thought I would try some separate variety's.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a weed, be interesting to hear what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it self seeds everywhere if you don't cut the flower heads off. So it could become one.

      Delete
  6. Does the magenta rub off as you eat it? The menfolk maybe less keen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea yet, it will prove to be interesting.

      Delete
  7. Lovely post and I never grown them ether so will be interesting to hear your out come of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am looking forward to them.

      Delete
  8. Very interesting - especially concerning its cosmetic uses! It looks as if it is related to "Fat Hen"; part of the chenopodium family, definitely. Maybe your chicks-to-be will enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect it is, I didn't realise until this morning. I am quite looking forward to the uses of the baby leaf.

      Delete
  9. They grew the tree spinach from seed for the herb garden at York Gate this year. it was massive, taller than me, it looked spectacular but you need the space. Think the leaves would taste better young though so be interesting to see how you get on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.