Friday, 24 January 2014

Ordering has commenced

I spent an hour this morning spending a disgracefully large amount of money. However it needed to be done & it included a disgracefully priced video game for Harry in lieu of pocket money this month. No doubt the boy will get pocket money from Mike so really he is on to a good thing. Anyway -

Wiggly Wigglers One edible hedge ordered for delivery on Monday. Mike has no option now but to get digging, I shall help of course. I have wanted a native type hedge for a long time now. It has taken me a while to find the right sort of combination. There are plenty of companies out there offering mixed hedges but not quite the combination I wanted. I came across this hedge pack on my search & when I read the following, there it was my ideal hedge - The plants you'll receive include:
Blackthorn (for Sloe Gin) , Crab Apple (for jelly), Cherry Plum (for jam), Dog Rose (for Rosehip syrup), Elderberry (for delicious cordial from the flowers in spring), Hazel (for Nuts), Wild Pear (for jams, liqueurs and syrups),
How fab is that!

Victoriana Nursery - Five yellow raspberry canes, two stupidly hot chilli plants which Mike wants to grow, one Samphire plant & Five Seakale plants/thongs thingamajigs. All ordered. I shall receive the yellow raspberry canes next week sometime & the remainder I think in April.

Now I have perused this site often but have never ordered, they will be getting another order in a couple of months for a Mulberry tree once I have the chickens in place. I have one yellow raspberry plant in the garden already & they are rather nice & a bit different. Since the fence was replaced which separates my garden from my neighbours in the back, I have a bit more space. Yellow raspberries seemed the way to go. The seakale is going in the same bed as the asparagus, globe artichokes as it is a perennial plant. The bed also houses the fruit bushes. The samphire? well why not. It will live in a pot watered with sea salt water.

Moreveg A lovely site which sells a wide selection of seeds most of which are priced at 50p. That didn't stop me spending over £20 though. In my defence I have a lot of seed packets coming for this season including a lettuce called Flashy Troutback, I couldn't leave it there with that name.

I am now pretty much sorted for this year apart from seed potatoes & compost I am absolutely positive that none of you are interested in Harry's video game which was very nearly the most expensive purchase. In fact it was the second.

Enjoy your day

15 comments:

  1. Your hedge sounds wonderful, what great choices. Fantastic for wildlife, but with stuff for you too. It's going to be a good year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's why it is the ideal combination for me, I can have a harvest & there is something for the wildlife too.

      Delete
  2. I really hope your hedge turns out to be good, because it is obviously something that you are very excited about! You are being pretty adventurous with the other plants too - I bet not many people grow Seakale. It is something I have always wanted to try (eating I mean) to see whether I like it enough to have a go at growing it. I hope you will be blogging about it therefore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Mark, I have waited long enough. I ordered the sea kale as I am turning that bed into a perennials only. Yes there will be plenty of blogging.

      Delete
  3. It'll be interesting to see how your hedge does.
    I'm a fan of MoreVeg and buy most of my vegetable, and some flower, seeds from them.
    I hope that Harry enjoys his video game. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be posting lots about it, there seems to be little on the internet about edible hedges in small gardens. Thanks Mike, Harry is over the moon that it is on its way.

      Delete
  4. How exciting, can't wait to hear more news about the hedge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of posts to come, I am really excited about it.

      Delete
  5. Lovely post and thanks for sharing I was thinking about getting a mulberry after buying a little bag of them in Tesco's last week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I shall have to have a look out in Tesco for Mulberry's, it will be a few years before I get a harvest.

      Delete
  6. You have so many choice in berry plants. Sounds so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably to many Endah but thank you.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you are well sorted for the spring...I really need to start sorting through to see what I have and need. All we need now is the weather to start warming up.....where are those snowdrops????

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.