Thursday, 16 January 2014

Ponderings

Thank you for your lovely comments on my Chickens to be this year. I will get round to replying to them all. I am full of the lurgy & am unable to do much at present. When I say lurgy I lay the full blame at a bottle of red wine I consumed at my sisters at the weekend. It was the only thing I had that no one else had & I have been so blinking ill since.

The small greenhouse is now down ready to be re assembled at my sisters, its removal is due this weekend. This means Mike will be able to start preparing the base for my chickens run. I am so, so excited & can pretty much compare it to expecting a child. Daft I know! The preparation has been unbelievable, years in the making in fact. Not that I could ever persuade Mike to add to the kids!

This weather is unnerving me slightly I must say. It has been more than pleasant & doesn't bode well for the lack of slugs later on in the year. I'm sure there will be thousands this year. I can only hope for a few good, hard frosts in March.

Hedge laying will commence in a couple of weeks & I will supply photos. I think I will have to buy a new memory card for this years photographs, I am still struggling to upload photos direct onto my new lap top. Anyway hopefully in two-three years I can do some lazy foraging in the front garden once the hedge starts fruiting.

Back to the title of the post Ponderings. I have been pondering over whether to order veg plants this year, more for the brassicas for Winter 2014/Spring 2015. Always looking ahead! I only need a few of each but looking at my ever expanding seed boxes I have all I need & only need to order some White Sprouting Broccoli. I'm going to give that ago along with the more normal Purple variety this year. Also it is only 50p a pack at MoreVeg . I am thinking it would be better to sow my own, more than I would actually need in fact so I could select the strongest rather than receive five of each plants which could actually be mediocre & I would be a bit stuck then. Decisions, decisions!

Anyway I'm off to catch up with your blog posts.

As always enjoy your day!

18 comments:

  1. I thought this post was going to be about plans for a pond! Re White Sprouting Broccoli - I've grown that a few times. I found it had a very strong brassica taste, which was not to everyone's liking. However, it was very prolific and the plants grew a lot bigger than the purple ones.
    Hope the lurgy goes away soon - and that you are not allergic to red wine, cos that would be terrible! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha got the pond already & I would be devastated if I was allergic to red wine. That's very interesting about the White broccoli, I suspected them to be more compact.

      Delete
  2. We were really excited when we got our girls too - like you, we'd been discussing it for years! I hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't wait now. I'm feeling much better now thanks

      Delete
  3. Sorry to see that you've not felt well and hope that you get better soon. As you say grow from seed, much better, and cheaper. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better now thanks & yes it would be cheaper.

      Delete
  4. Just be careful when buying brassica plants as I do wonder whether doing this is what introduced club root to our plot.

    Hope you soon feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something I hadn't considered. I think I should stick to seeds. I' much better now thanks.

      Delete
  5. I'd be just as excited if I was getting chickens. (I haven't ruled it out...) I do hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much better now thanks, getting chickens was always the next step for me. I just had to convince others.

      Delete
  6. I hope you're feeling much better soon. I love the sound of the hedge and the foraging. Here's hoping we don't get lots of slugs this year - but if we do, your chickens will love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much better now thanks. I can't wait to get the thing planted & I do hope they make a dent in the slug population.

      Delete
  7. I hope you're feeling better by the time you read this.

    I always say if in doubt about seeds ... BUY THEM. Little tiny promises of life and food to come. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling a lot better thanks. Yes I should use seeds I have just spent the afternoon sorting my collection out.

      Delete
  8. I think you may be right about the slugs. They are a real problem here because it is always so wet. Maybe this is my argument for chickens??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickens eating slugs is a valid argument. It helped swing it for me.

      Delete
  9. The chickens sound very exciting, hope all goes well with your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you get your chickens, they are such fun! Love the planning in January ... thanks for popping in to Thriftwood, you're always welcome! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.