Monday, 27 January 2014

Seed potatoes Part one.

Yesterday morning instead of going to the garden centre (we did attempt but it was closed) we went to a local hardware type store. A lovely place full of all sorts & it also holds monthly chicken sales.

My selections are as follows -

 First early -
 Home guard

 Second early -
 Estima
 Maris Peer
 British Queen

 Salad-
 Charlotte

I was planning to purchase more over the next couple of weeks, not too many more as they will be in pots but I read this post on Marks Veg Plot yesterday. Mark had attended a local potato day & whilst reading his post I remembered I had seen one advertised in the past which was held fairly locally.

A quick google & there it was UK potato days . I had a look at the poster for the one I am attending & like the one Mark attended there will be other goodies for sale.

I am rather looking forward to it. So in a few weeks there will be a post titled Seed potatoes Part two.

Enjoy your day.

16 comments:

  1. That's a good selection you've chosen to grow. I was intrigued so went over to have a look at the potato days but sadly there are none local to me so I guess I will be buying either on-line or going over to Spalding for mine again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame they look really good fun.

      Delete
  2. Mark's potato looked brilliant, didn't it. How fantastic to be able to buy really small quantities and try out lots of different varieties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do don't they, I'm looking forward to when it is time for me to go.

      Delete
  3. We have thought of going to something like this in the past but never really made it. We tend to already have ours bought by the time potato days come round near us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't like leaving my buying to late as I like to grow a wide selection in a small plot. I'm looking forward to getting some more obscure ones though. Just a few

      Delete
  4. I'm about to organise my purchases and so I'm very interested in your potato selection. I'll look up local potato days. Charlotte is always a must-buy here - it's my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully there is one by you, they look good fun. I always grow Charlotte too.

      Delete
  5. It'll be interesting to see how they all do, and what others you buy! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will, I know I won't be buying any of the ones that have coloured flesh. They really do not appeal to me.

      Delete
  6. Lovely post I must a met I have not brought as yet but had some supper market ones start to root in bag so trying them but will buy some hopeful soon would love a good baking one as well as roasting have a blessed week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that several years back, planted some sprouting ones from the cupboard. Fantastic harvest too. And you thanks.

      Delete
  7. Love a good hardware store, they're few and far between these days. Will be interested to hear how led astray you get. I've put the central london day in the diary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fabulous place, I hope you have a good day at your potato day.

      Delete
  8. Sounds so interesting, a Potato Day! We have coconut day here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had not heard of potato days before and having checked the dates I will definitely be going to one. Such a great idea! Interesting selection of potatoes, we've not chosen ours yet, but Charlotte will definitely be on the list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.