Monday, 6 January 2014

Tansy



I have absolutely no idea why I keep on calling Tagetes Tansy but there we go.  Last year the plot & greenhouse were both very neglected due to me being on constant call out with regard to my dad. 

The Tagetes I planted around the greenhouse crops was a life saver, well a veg saver.
I only sowed the seeds as an after thought as I came across a packet in my seed boxes when planting up the greenhouse crops.

Just a very small pinch I sowed in each pot of chillies, peppers & tomatoes. I didn't sow any with the cucumbers & gherkins as they were in a  different greenhouse. At first as always the veg plants were attacked (only slightly) with whitefly. Nothing major, however once the Tagetes had grown I can honestly say there seemed to be very little in the way of whitefly on my veg plants. 

I am definitely going to do the same this year. The foliage has a very distinct smell to it when brushed & to me will always remind me of greenhouse growing. I see absolutely no reason why it couldn't be used on outdoor crops too. 

Enjoy your day

ps I couldn't find a photo I had taken so I googled a free image which you can see above

pss As well as being the name of one of my eldest sons friends Tansy is a plant that can be grown to repel flies. It can also cause a rash in some people. It cab invasive so probably bes grown in a pot. 

12 comments:

  1. So do you call Pansies "Pagetes" then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't Mark no, but if I ever spot a rogue pansy in my pots I could re-name it 'Pagetes'.

      Delete
  2. I don't seem to get whitefly in the greenhouse, but they attack my cavolo nero badly so I could try some in with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might sprinkle some amongst my brassicas too, they have never affected my tomato plants but I always seem to get some on the peppers & chillies.

      Delete
  3. It's also the name of our dog's mum! I like the smell of tagetes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A popular name it seems. It is a lovely smell isn't it

      Delete
  4. Tagetes is both useful and pretty, a winning combination. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are yes, I'm looking forward to trying it again.

      Delete
  5. They're pretty flowers and remind me of marigolds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are similar aren't' they, not sure of they are from the same family.

      Delete
  6. A good tip, I'll look out for these for next season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tagetes in Indonesia is well known as kenikir or tahi kotok, couse it bad smell. We use it as an insect repellent on my garden. They are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.