Tuesday, 28 January 2014

The edible hedge at last

Well it will be when I can finally pick a harvest from it, it will several years yet though.

I had forgotten what back breaking work digging & clearing a border was.
A bundle of twigs delivered yesterday morning, well packaged I have to say.


A planting guide complete with recipes for future harvests.
A cleared border ready to be planted.
A small section of edible hedging.

I was very excited to receive my edible hedge yesterday morning from Wiggly Wigglers. The only minus point & a very small one at that is the saplings were not labelled so I had no idea which was which.  With having a fairly small planting space I wanted the option of planting only what I wanted.  I planted as many as I could fit in the front border. The collection consisted of crab apple, hazel, cherry plum, elderberry, wild pear, blackthorn & dog rose. I knew the blackthorn has thorns but I also believe the wild pear & dog rose has some too.

I separated the thorny twigs & planted them as conveniently as I could to minimise the risk of injury. I had three thorny specimens left over which I planted in a raised bed we have in the front. This is backed by a high fence so I am hoping they knit together quite well for bird nesting in the future.

I had four non thorny twigs left over which I have placed in a border which separates the driveway from the garden. Hopefully these will grow into trees & if kept nicely pruned should be fine where they are.

Mike will be building up the wall at the back of the hedge & I will keep the side where the path is fairly well pruned & as I am after a wilder look if you like, the very front should be fine left pretty much as it grows. The above border will be extended sometime this year to allow for some native flower planting. A long term project & for a small space it will require a lot of upkeep. I'm just thank full it is a small space.

Enjoy your day

30 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your hedge grow, flowering and then fruiting. I guess it's really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or me, I really hope they all take & yes it is rather wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Really exciting - I look forward to seeing the results in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I am hoping for plenty to harvest.

      Delete
  3. It's a pity they weren't labelled. Maybe when they start to leaf up you will be able the identify specimens and move them if need be before they become too established.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pity, I was more worried about the thorny ones being placed in a convenient location. Yes when they start leafing up they will be easier to identify.

      Delete
  4. That all looks and sounds good. I think that I would have contacted them about the lack of labelling. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I filled in a review & commented that if I had to give a minus it would be the lack of labelling. All bare root plants look the same in that state. I am still happy with it though.

      Delete
  5. How exciting, and you have worked hard to get it all so beautifully prepared and planted. It will be wonderful when the buds and leaves start to appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know it took me blinking ages. Some had buds on so hopefully they will pt on a bit of growth this year.

      Delete
  6. As it will be so random it will look like a naturally wild hedge, If one section has too many of the same in it you could always plant a climber, maybe a honey berry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I am hoping for. when it is established I'm hoping to plant a climber through it. I am going to put some bulbs & wild flowers at the front too.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea, including recipes in the planting guide. I'd have been really disappointed with the lack of labelling, I hope it works out that you've planted everything in the places you wanted them. Perhaps you should give some feedback to Wiggly Wigglers, they may not realise how helpful labels would have been. I wonder how long it will be before you're able to go foraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely little booklet which I am keeping. I was more concerned about the thorny plants, I could work out what they were. I have filled in a review, I am still pleased with it even more so now it is planted.

      Delete
  8. How long will it be before it matures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to have some sort of harvest next year, I really don't know how long it will take. I have looked on it as a long term project but I would like to harvest something as soon as.

      Delete
  9. Such a great idea and you did well to get it planted up so quick. I have bookmarked the site for future reference as I think something like this on the bee plot would be great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely site full of lovely things. the delivery was prompt & well packaged. I will certainly use them again.

      Delete
  10. looks nice and I am sure it will be nice when ready for harvesting in a couple of years time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope its a couple of years Linda.

      Delete
  11. How exciting to receive your hedge and to start planting it. You will have a fabulous harvest from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so, it was a bit like doing a jigsaw. I had to stand back to make sure they looked right.

      Delete
  12. When we purchased Menagerie Manor back in 1976 we had a great edible hedge that used to run the entire length of one property line. Sadly it had to go when we had the gravel roadway made into concrete. Probably a good thing as now in my later years I don’t think I could do the maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Doc that was sad. I am super excited about this hedge, I had been putting it off for years. I'm sure i will have grandchildren in years to come - I will pay them to prune it.

      Delete
  13. I'm just starting to imagine what I'll be planting this year. I love getting everything ready and planning. Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is exciting this time of year, I'm pretty sure I know what I am doing this year, I hope so I have ordered most of it.

      Delete
  14. Your edible hedge sounds amazing! Looks like a lot of hard work has gone into it too and I bet when it eventually fruits, it will be worth it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am really looking forward to the first harvests.

      Delete
  15. Edible hedges are such a great idea. Good to see this in practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree they are a good idea, there are similar hedges locally in the fields so the wildlife should be as pleased as me.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.