Tuesday, 11 February 2014

A little light work

There is little to be done in the garden at this time of year. Well for me anyway! I did have a small plan for last weekend which involved making a start on cleaning the green house & washing the pots. However the downpour we had all morning put paid to that. Then lunch at my sisters got in the way, you know how it is.

We returned from lunch in time for Mike to watch the football, understandably I wanted to be elsewhere So I grabbed my camera before going into the garden. This tickles Mike immensely but for all garden bloggers a camera is pretty much a constant companion as is the spade & fork.
I spotted the above compost heap & decided to give it a turn. I cleared the over flow of pots & trays from the garden onto the path.

I am so pleased with my compost heap, it had been there since Autumn last year, maybe a little earlier than that, I have three large plastic compost bins but after a big garden clean up I have far too much waste for the three bins. At first we tried to did a trench which didn't work very well so we piled all the garden waste onto one spot & left it.

We have given it a turn over a couple of times this year but had never got right to the bottom. This time I moved the complete heap to the opposite end of the bed. It had mostly composted down really well but still contained a few large pieces. These have now been placed at the bottom of the heap, & I am more than confident I will have lots of lovely compost to spread on the plot in a few weeks time.

Enjoy your day

19 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I am too lazy to wash pots and it doesn't seem to affect my plants.We just have so many pots that I couldn't face having to wash all of them.I have a brush and an old cloth and just brush and wipe out any rings from last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wash the little ones, the rest get a quick brush down.

      Delete
  2. There's always something to do! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is if you look, & seeds to sow in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I go to the allotment with my camera and I don't do any actual work, I just take pictures. It's because the soil is too wet to walk on at the moment, that's why. Not because I just like wandering around and taking photos or anything. You're right about the seeds, it will soon be time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to take a wander round the garden just taking a look. I'm excited about sowing seeds soon, the seed box is ready & waiting.

      Delete
  4. It never ceases to amaze me how all the rubbish turns in to such lovely stuff to feed the garden with. My heart sank when I saw one of the compost bins on the new plot full to the brim with rubbish, but Mick's got it all sorted out ready to be put to work. The other compost bin was full of good stuff so we've been spreading that on the beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its good stuff isn't it, I read what you posted about the bin being filled with rubbish. At least it is cleared now. I think its the first year that I have enough compost to put on all of the beds.

      Delete
  5. It is great that you have been getting out in the garden, and good that the compost is going well for you, we don't seem to have much luck with ours, but I don't think it gets enough attention - perhaps this year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased with how well it rotted down. The stuff I can't fit into the compost bins normally gets carted away to the council recycling unit. Not any more, I shall be doing the same later on this year.

      Delete
  6. Lovely post as always I added some worms to 3 of my compost bins yesterday while I was doing the soft fruit area only to in each of my compost bins I have 8 in all and only have two empty at present thought their enjoy some where warm out of all this damp wet earth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, wish I had space for 8 ins but three is my limit.

      Delete
  7. Ten days ago I harvested my compost. Now, I have two concrete compost bins. So I can make a better schedule in composting. Unload my compost bin is a hard work. Every 'harvest' I get 3 -4 piles of fine compost and about 2-3 piles of crude compost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard work, I try and plan so I have one bin spare but they fill up so quickly.

      Delete
  8. I have to confess to not being a pot washer either. wherever possible now though I use paper pots so these go straight into the ground and then add a little mulch to the soil too!!

    I have yet to check my compost bins but I have been filling them for a couple of years now so there should be some good stuff in them and the ants that nested in them last summer should have turned it nicely for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used some biodegradable ones last year I might buy some more. You should have lots of lovely compost to spread around after that long.

      Delete
  9. I inherited heaps of clay pots of every size from my Grandmothers estate so I invested in two different sizes of pot brushes that I found in a garden magazine. They work wonders and the job is done in a jiff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must confess to being a pot washer, as to the compost haven;t got to it yet. The one lot I am still filling with the chicken muck, everyone keeps telling me it works wonders, only time will tell

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I know how to garden without a camera in my back pocket :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.