Thursday, 6 February 2014

Cooking

I enjoy cooking & always have done. While I don't consider myself an expert in any way at all I am extremely confident in the kitchen & will (have) attempt most things. I enjoy in particular in planning my veg garden around what I might like to cook later on in the year.

I spent a huge part of my childhood reading, it was what I did & still do now. I have always been a huge reader & consider myself happiest when reading a book. I am even happier in the warm weather sat in the greenhouse, feet up, a cup of tea on the potting table & reading a book. Whilst my parents encouraged me by buying books there always seemed to be a few remarks about me spending too much time reading. My mother in particular resented buying books as a Christmas present, she rather likes making grand gestures you see. One gesture which sticks in my mind was a gift of a hand knitted cardigan, bought I believe at huge expense. I remember unwrapping said cardigan one Christmas morning & after looking at the hideous garment asked what was it knitted from? I imagined it to be goat hair & not the nice kind I buy now (wool that is not hideous cardigans). The only thing that made me happy about receiving the cardigan was when my mother mentioned she had bought my sister one too. I digress, I learnt to cook from the amount of cookbooks I read as a child these & Enid Blyton made my childhood.

Mike on the other hand is the most un- confident cook you could ever wish to meet. It peeves me greatly, his youngest brother trained as a chef as he enjoys cooking immensely. Mikes brother opened a restaurant a few years back, unfortunately being at the start of the rescission & in an inconvenient location it didn't prosper & after a year he went back to his day job. Mike spent many a weekend as his brother sous-chef & while he gained excellent chopping skills he is still reluctant to cook. He is scared of doing something wrong & it peeves me greatly. Particularly as he enjoys buying expensive kitchen equipment.

As part of his Christmas presents I bought a range of cooking equipment from Boots, I enjoy the three for two they do on Christmas gifts. To go with it I also bought these -
from a company called The Spicery. Each month Mike receives a box similar to the above. Each box contains recipe cards & a selection of fresh spices. Other than open the boxes & sniffs the spices he has yet to cook, his third box is due this month! Mike will be given an ultimatum for this Saturday evening. I know from past experience that I will be sat in the sitting room with a gin & tonic with my name being called every three minutes asking for advice. I might go to the pub instead even though it has been more than a few years since I entered a pub by myself.

Enjoy your day

24 comments:

  1. Maybe its avoidance of sibling competition, Not wanting to be unfavourably compared with a brother who is particularly good at cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, though as he sees his brother every couple of weeks or so he could attempt a sneaky dish in between visits.

      Delete
  2. Jo, I recommend that you cook TOGETHER. That way Mike will develop more confidence, and you will be able to supervise him more closely! :) Also: nothing succeeds like success, so if he can cook even one dish that is really good (you could praise it, even if it's not that special, couldn't you?) then he will be inspired to cook more. This is what happened with me and Jane. She also derived pleasure from teaching me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do cook together several times a week Mark. Mike enjoys assisting he lacks the confidence to cook by himself! We shop together for food & I ask his thoughts on meals for the week etc. The spice packs & cooking equipment were a final attempt at encouraging Mike to attempt to cook something by himself. I do get treated to some lovely meals out by the way.

      Delete
  3. Oh this made me laugh, my hubby does cook, but not adventurous things. A few years ago now he was making a curry and got himself in a right state, I was in the living room staying well out of the way (hiding!) and he suddenly burst the door open and said in a state of panic as though someone had just exploded or something and said "where's the coriander!" It was the end of his world in that moment and now if he ever opens a door too enthusiastically we shout "where's the coriander!". I hope that you don't have any coriander moments and that Mike enjoys his cooking. xx p.s. love the idea of the spice of the month thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone I've had more than one coriander moment I assure you & your husband sounds more advanced than mine. The spice box is fab, it smells lovely when you open it.

      Delete
  4. What a great gift. Mick cooks but only plain things, nothing adventurous, though he only eats plain things so no surprise there. Perhaps the chillis you're growing this year will encourage Mike to cook more, surely he'll enjoy using them when he's been anxious to grow them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish - they are Mikes chillis. I think as long as there is someone to guide him he is happy.

      Delete
  5. I'm not a foodie, nor do I have much sense of taste, so I keep to basic, simple cooking. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy with any meal, any at all.

      Delete
  6. Lovely Hubby rarely cooks, but on the rare occasion he banishes me from the kitchen to do his 'thing' I just know that I will be faced with a plate of monstrous proportions of food. I do get THE most weird concoctions that I really do do my best to eat ;-)

    I'm happier doing it myself and letting him do the washing up, although once he puts the pots away I can never find anything I need in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H ha that's so funny, I think it is easier at times to do it yourself. He is a good dishwasher filler upper.

      Delete
  7. It's so nice that you can do your cooking and also be able to use some of the produce you grew yourself. I was always reading as a child too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I do enjoy it when the garden is at full pelt I have a choice of things to cook from. I'm still a huge reader now!

      Delete
  8. Both of us like to cook. D. is really good at anything that needs to very precise whereas I like things that are a bit of chuck it in and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike likes the idea of cooking, it is the putting it into action he struggles with. Mike is a precise sort of person I'm more by eye.

      Delete
  9. Sounds so interesting. Selection of fresh spices and recipe cards, a nice packet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely, they smell wonderful when you open the box.

      Delete
  10. Awesome post and lovely spice the table have turned hubby normal dose the cooking even when at work but for the last two weeks I have cooked Monday to Friday then he takes over at the weekends the last time I used a spice I put to much in my marrow soup too hot but still have some in the freezer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the cook here, I only wish Mike would attempt one or two meals while I'm in work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Hubby can cook as he lived alone for a long time before we bought the house...however he chooses not to cook and on the odd occasion when I'm at work and he isn't so cooks for himself and the kids it is always something that doesn't require more then putting in the oven. I like to play about in the kitchen though and I am a little particular about where things go and how they are put away so I don't mind!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya Mike lived by himself before we met too, you think it would be the same. I think I have a unique man!

      Delete
  13. I hope the cooking works out. Maybe alternate who does cooking every other weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.