Thursday, 20 February 2014

Dear Mike

Yes, I agree not to buy any seeds, wool, fabric, magazines, books or gin for the next eight weeks, well maybe not agree to the gin as it is nearly spring. Yes darling I am aware that a year does not count as one season.

Yes darling I know we only have a small garden but those hundreds of seed packets will get used at some point & actually I am not the only gardener with lots of seeds. No I'm not quite addicted to buying seeds it's just that there are a lot out there that I would like to grow. Also when you say hundreds you make it sound like a lot more than there is but yes I strongly suspect there are more than 100 packets there.

No Michael you're wrong I really do think we could squeeze another fruit tree in & that a mulberry one is a fantastic idea. I do need a more solid archway than the one you like as I would like to grow a couple of grapes over it. Now, now I don't agree with that & actually it may prove to be money saving in the future as I could start to make wine. Don't laugh you horrid man & as for your other suggestion I am pretty sure it is illegal to distil your own gin in this country!

Now darling my head does not quite swivel round like something out of the exorcist when we drive past a garden centre, wool or fabric shop. Yes I appreciate it is not your idea of a good afternoon out but it is mine. After all I have offered to come fishing with you, there is no need to laugh quite so hard Michael!  Actually my love I see nothing wrong with me lying on a rug with a couple of books, crochet or knitting in my hand. I see no reason why I couldn't tie a piece of string around the neck of a wine bottle to keep cool in the water. I'm sure it has been done before. I would be more than happy to pass you a sandwich I would not however be happy to pass you some wiggly maggots for your hook.

If you got a wriggle on & finish the house I could remove all the clutter from the landing & set it up as a craft space. I appreciate you might have hurt your foot however you were unlikely to stub your toe by tripping over several bags of wool! I appreciate I have a lot of projects on the go but I am practising several things. I know I am still knitting a cardigan I started last year but if you see wool at a good price well you really do need to buy it & yes actually it is the same for seeds, plants & fabric.

I appreciate Liberty fabric might seem expensive however I see it as an investment. When I can sew proper as it were I might not be so scared to cut it. Also I am sure you spend far more on your hobbies than mine!

So yes I do accept your bet that I wont buy anything fun for eight weeks. I do however need some compost & as I can't buy anything you will have to buy it for me!




41 comments:

  1. Thank goodness it's not just me. I identified with almost everything - trying to fit in just one little mulberry tree, head swivelling at wool shops and garden centres, more seeds than seems normal, lots of projects, lots of stuff - it's what makes us so interesting I think... He is a lucky man to have such an industrious woman. If you were a vacuous shoe-buyer he would have something to complain about, but to grow and knit - these are survival skills, deeply rooted in our DNA. It is unreaslistic to expect us to deny them. Come the revolution, he will be glad he has you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree but I do buy shoes too.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha - I know the feeling - this post made me chuckle - I reckon it's a woman thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad & it definitely is a female thing.

      Delete
  3. Has Mike made a reciprocal promise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No chance, he will be off buying tools fishing equipment the lot! I'm glad he doesn't play golf any more.

      Delete
  4. I can't see your hubbies problem, we female, we shop we hoard, we half make craft things.
    One question is all his DIY projects finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have a problem too, being the only female in a house of males naturally I need these things. Mike is a perfectionist so no his DIY is very much a WIP.

      Delete
  5. Ha ha, I had to laugh about the Liberty fabric and cutting in to it. I'm similar with wool, I love to buy posh skeins and then I just sit and stroke them instead of knitting with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are nice skeins not just for stroking? I never knew that... ;)

      Delete
    2. It's scary, I buy things for future projects but never quite feel brave enough. Mike stands there shaking his head slowly from side to side when I enter a wool shop. You have to stroke before you buy & squeeze, it's the law.

      Delete
  6. That all sounds about right. My only problem is that Joe is just as bad which I believe makes us doomed! One of us has to pretend to be sensible at all times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is so sweet you. I can be sensible for ohhh a couple of days at a time.

      Delete
  7. Ha! The excuses we make!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Aaahh thanks. We have conversations like this often, I might make it a once monthly post, just for a bit of fun.

      Delete
  9. Very entertaining....I'll head to the plot with a smile now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you had a good day at the plot & the smile stayed with you.

      Delete
  10. I sympathise with both of you! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you are a kind hearted man. I do need more sympathy though as I can't buy anything gardening related at all for ages.

      Delete
  11. Hilarious! but oh dear, your husband seems to have reached his limit?! Sounds like your space (or his?) is getting a little tight! Love the fishing part as I go "fishing" with my husband and son ... with a book, camera & knitting ;) Eight weeks is a long time. Good luck! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I have the space it's just filled with his junk at the moment. I knew someone else somewhere would takes books & knitting to go fishing. Fab I'm going to show mike as I now have proof.

      Delete
  12. Oh this is so funny!!! I am sure that my husband spends way more on his hobbies than I do on mine, and he has loads of stuff, and then he complains about a few crochet bits round and about! I understand about not cutting the fabric and buying the yarn, you need to get it when you see it and then sit and look at it and stoke it for a while until you can find some more to replace it so that you can use what you have. And if he wants those onions planted, you will need some compost won't you!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, I was giggling as I typed it. Without a shadow of a doubt Mike spends far more than me. The compost is proof that I can save money, that's £10 I've saved straight away as it is a waste of time me entering the garden centre so it will have to come out of Mikes account.

      Delete
  13. Eight weeks! Eight weeks? Are you crazy my friend? Eight weeks takes you right into the thick of things. I could never do eight weeks. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's quite scary actually. I will stick to it, naturally that's why I have a stash built up for such occasions. Well the only occasion.

      Delete
  14. I would be able to manage 8 days, if I was really poorly, but 8 weeks that is a step too far. Wait a minute, did you have your fingers crossed when you said it, if so it doesn't count. I bet you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no fingers crossed just a rather indignant reply from me that actually I could manage a few weeks without buying wool & then it sort of led on to not buying other things. Yes, I have got myself into a bit of a pickle.

      Delete
  15. Making your own wine... now there's an idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fabulous idea isn't it. It is also very money saving as my dad has loads of wine making equipment left over from when he used to do it. I can't see majestic stocking a Château Wilson any time soon though.

      Delete
  16. Awesome post I know the feeling well have a brilliant weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you. You have a good weekend yourself.

      Delete
  17. I'm putting in some support for the male gender.... All your comments are too sexist for my liking! :) it is too much of a generalisation to say that all men are like Mike. In our household it is me who is the tidy one (my background is boarding school and then Army, so this is hardly surprising), and it is Jane who is addicted to buying crafting materials which habitually clutter up the whole house! We get on just fine though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might sound sexist Mark but they are very much true in this case. I'm sure Jane isn't addicted you can't have just one crafty thing you see. Then off course you need different colours, thickness etc. I must admit Mike is the neat freak in our relationship. Rob takes after him, Harry I fear takes after me.

      Delete
  18. Hahahahaha....brilliant, just loved this. Struth, you're prepared to give up gin, seeds and your creative bits and pieces for 8 weeks...respect! Just drink wine instead and pinch a few cuttings from other people's gardens to tide you over.....xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you did, it was meant to be funny, it's all true though. I had thought of the wine & I placed quite a few garden orders last month some of which is getting delivered during March & April, that will see me through. Blinking heck, it will be nearly summer when this bet is over.

      Delete
    2. Way to go girl! I had a sneaking suspicion that you had a back up plan!!!xxx

      Delete
  19. 8 weeks will just tide you over to finish last year's cardi and get this year's seeds sown, then you'll be well placed to know what to order or buy next. Hoarding is obviously the way to go. It's why I have shelves of baskets containing wool, fabric etc above my doors (where no-one notices they're there). In an emergency, we'll be the ones knitting shoes and clothing the population!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this made me smile. My Hubby tends to go with the flow of things but I am also the neat one so he can't grumble too much as I am always putting away after him and generally know where the 'thing' he can't find is!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.