Tuesday, 4 February 2014

January review 2014

Well I wasn't going to bother as I though it a bit late. However I have seen several reviews for January yesterday morning so I thought well why not? Here goes!

An edible hedge ordered, delivered & planted.
Yellow raspberries ordered, delivered & planted.
Mikes new toy. Even though January was wet & windy we were treated to several nice gardening days. This resulted in a lot of pruning & the removal of old overgrown lavender bushes. Instead of them lying in a pile Mike bought an incinerator. I now have a lovely bit of ask which I will sparingly add to the fruit buses/trees.
My compost heap in the middle of the veg beds. I have three compost bins which were too full last year. This resulted in the pile you see above, I was attempting to turn it while Mike was playing with his incinerator. There is quite a knack to it & just as I got into my stride Mikes fire was at full pelt & smoked me out. I'm going to give it another turn next week. Mike has nothing left to burn.

Big garden bird watch happened on a wet & windy day. Naturally since then I have had more birds in the garden. The wren & greenfinches which were absent on the day of the count have returned! There are more feeders! I've just realised this shot looks a bit mean.
Seedy penpal, held twice a year January & I think Septemberish? I received a lovely selection & rather disgracefully posted to my recipient late.
A rather nice book order for the small sum of £9. Some loevly books for making pans & lists.

Well I think that is my January in a nutshell. Even though I spent a great deal of money in January it has meant that most of my ordering is out of the way.

I have spent a lovely few hours in the garden getting it ready. As I now work from home as standard on Tuesdays & Wednesdays I can pop out for a general tidy up for an hour before I log on. A very enjoyable start to the day it is too.

Enjoy your day

20 comments:

  1. Well it was a very constructive January..I think I could sum mine up in one sentence....but we won't go into that. You make me feel slightly ashamed that I am yet to make a start....slowly talking myself into it though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been determined to do better this year after doing so little last year. Anyway I really have no excuse as the veg garden is just outside my back door.

      Delete
  2. The incinerator we had at the plot was charred and missing a base and still someone stole it! Maybe for scrap metal!
    I notice that your feeding station has a lean like ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is safe is it, yes it does lean it really needs to be moved so I it will screw into the ground more. To be honest I might invest in one of those patio umbrella stands.

      Delete
    2. Ours has a stand but developed a lean when the wind bent the pole.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see a summary of January in your garden. You've been very organised, I'm impressed. I've done absolutely nothing (I was waiting for the rain to stop...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been nipping out into the garden in between the rain. We have also been blessed with a couple of nice days at the weekends so that made a huge difference to the amount we could get done.

      Delete
  4. You've had a busy month to say we're in the middle of winter, you put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have no excuse after my dismal efforts last year Jo.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I hope to be just as busy this month too.

      Delete
  6. Inspite of the weather you did get some good work done in the garden. I've not done so much - I'm hoping for a more productive February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to continue my good work in February. It would be a shame if it came to a stop now.

      Delete
  7. You have set yourself a tough pace! Let's hope that the results are in fair proportion, in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite thankful I have a small garden, just one job done makes it look better.

      Delete
  8. Lovely post and thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great review of your month - don't you just love incinerators, we have one and it gets well used if we have loads that needs disposing of and won't fit in the green recycling bin and is too woody to compost. We are having our trees cut soon, so I expect that there may be leftovers that need a burn, so if Mike is feeling bereft at having nothing left at yours, feel free to send him over to mine! I hope that February is just as good for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy he would load it on the trailer & be knocking on your door like a shot. He is already looking forward to when the hedge is big enough to prune.

      Delete
    2. It sounds as though he is having a little too much fun with this to me!! xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.